Ammo box - Controller box alternative

cdjazman

Full time elf
Found this at Bunnings. Wondering if anyone has used one?

https://www.bunnings.com.au/inabox-53l-sealed-storage-container_p0012977

Inabox 53L Sealed Storage Container
Width417mm
Height334mm
Length565mm

Rated at IPx7

"Protected against immersion in water. Immersion for 30 minutes to a depth of 1 meter."

Bigger than the MTM ammo box and fait bit cheaper at $24.98.

There is an 85 ltr for extra $5 if you want bigger.

The clear could be an issue with UV....? But could also be useful to see what's going on inside too......

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
Guess you could always cover it with something, but kind of defeats the purpose of it being water and dust proof

franky_888

Full time elf
I used these BIG W storage containers this year

It was big enough for a 'full sized' power supply (not the slimlines), two 6-way automotive fuse boxes and a differential receiver. I still covered these with another larger box just to be sure, but the design of the box is such that any water on top has a sufficient lip that the water *shouldn't* blow in side ways, and the handles are moulded into the exterior plastic so they won't leak through the handles like some of other similar sized boxes would (cough Masters cough).

I too am concerned however about the longevity of these in the sun. Personally I want to upgrade all of these boxes to proper polycarbonate enclosures (either those driboxes or similar). Seems silly putting a $200 controller in a $5 box; after last year I realised I would rather divert my time more into new things and not back into re-doing cheap enclosure boxes as they break down.

cdjazman

Full time elf