And so it begins...

cookie

New elf
Hello, all! I have decided to dive into the world of animated light shows and can't wait to learn about EVERYTHING! The goal for the next 12 months is to have everything ready for a huge show by December 2015. I'll be combining my experience in choreography, music and programming with my VERY limited electrical knowledge. I'll be combing through the forum daily for tips on where to start, but please feel free to send along any advice.

So, here's the plan: My parents are set on creating a Christmas village for their community. I thought a light show would be the perfect addition to their plans. I have been thinking about going with the PRO Series Light-O-Rama Controller with a Showtime Director; because the safety certification would allow me to use it in their "commercial" environment without worrying about inspectors shutting it down, AND I can set the shows to trigger at specific times. I know that 16 channels will not be nearly enough. When I visualize the show in my head, there are at least 150 channels: snowflakes, arches, reindeer, cascading tubes, strobes and all other LED string and rope lights that typically accompany a light show. I am aware that this is ambitious. That's the fun part. The not-so-fun part is the cost. I'm not afraid of a little soldering or trying to create my own light strings, but I don't really know where to begin looking for the appropriate supplies -- ESPECIALLY when dealing with Cosmic Color Ribbons (which would be ideal if they weren't so pricey).

As I said, I will be reading all the posts on this forum. I just wanted to introduce myself and let you know what I'm working towards. I'm so inspired by all of your work!!!

bluzervic

65,768 Channels, 185 Universes
Welcome to ACL.

First stop, browse the forums, get an Idea of the vast variety of Software and hardware
Post up questions and learn about all of us here.

Read the AusChristmasLighting 101 Manual, a lot of questions can be answered here.

http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php?topic=1889.0

Finally, hop into chat, a great place to talk about your display and work on issues

-Blu

kel

Dedicated elf
welcome47.gif

closetnerd88

New elf
Welcome :D

I'm new here too. I'm not doing an animated show though, just something simple and will build up to next year.

Bird

LOR user
Welcome.gif

to ACL Cookie

When going with LOR, sign up for their emails.
Their spring and summer sales are the time to buy LOR gear. (like $200 as opposed to $250)
Remember, LOR is more expensive but very reliable year after year.
Plus remember CCR price include controllers, wiring, connectors and power supplies.
4th year using 16 channel controller and two CCR's with no issues.
This year will be using 2 controllers and 3 CCR's (to lazy to get other 3 CCR's out)

(State: Outside of AU/NZ) Assuming you are in the USA, one thing you will need is lots of lamp cord and plugs.
Best pricing I have found is:
For lamp cord .... 'bill@lightyearcable.com' (FYI .. old timer and only order by phone) :)
1,000' Brown 18/2 – SPT-1 Lamp Cord – 300 Volts – VW-1 $86.70 per 1000′
For plugs .... 3G Lighting Creations
SPT1 Female Plugs Green SPT1FG-50 $27.50 USD (Plugs Per Package: 50 Plugs)
SPT1 In Line Female Plugs Green SPT1FG-IL-50 $27.50 USD (Plugs Per Package: 50 Plugs)
SPT2 Male Plugs Green SPT2GM-50 $27.50 USD (Plugs Per Package: 50 Plugs)
Both companies have been very good service with quick deliveries 4 years ago and this year also.

Hope that helps