Annoying Street Lights

Bird

LOR user
Now that I think, about it how hard would it be to make the light pole part of your display and accidently end up with a small RGB module (stuck on white of course) laying on top of the sensor?
It could go on & off with your display, thereby having security etc. when your display is not in operation.

joekin

Apprentice elf
I work for the electrical distribution company in Queensland who installs the lights. at my old house I was on a corner block and had 2 street lights that required covering. i tried the right thing by calling the council (as they are the ones who pay to have them so therefore they own them) and they sent out someone to put a light meter on my property boundary to measure how much light pollution was flooding into my yard. They determined that one was putting too much light into my yard so they had a shroud put on that one. so i tried the "right" way. because it still did not satisfy what i wanted i took my cherry picker around one day and spray painted the light problem fixed.

Christmas on Clarafield

Full time elf
It is interesting to see everyone's response and that I'm not the only one with the curse of the street light. I think next house I buy I will take more notice of the block at night.

Geoff I never realised that you had a light out the front. Even being able to switch it off for photos and video is very neat.

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Whilst i don't have one on my side of the road i do live on a main street and have one of those large sodium vapor street lights nearly directly across the road, the first couple of years running incandescants this bugged me no end but as i've moved to LED, RGB and RGB Pixels and the increased brightness i've started to see it not as an issue but as a benefit as it provides lighting for people to safely walk around the display, people can see static elements like signs, cutouts and blowups without spotlighting etc.
I guess what i'm saying is work with the external lighting rather than against it, a great display not far from me has a wonderful garden train setup and a DARK street, unfortunately this makes it hard to see his train layout.

Cheers
Phil

G

GoofyGuy

All I got from this was, dont try to get rid of the light, OVERPOWER it!

AussiePhil said:
Whilst i don't have one on my side of the road i do live on a main street and have one of those large sodium vapor street lights nearly directly across the road, the first couple of years running incandescants this bugged me no end but as i've moved to LED, RGB and RGB Pixels and the increased brightness i've started to see it not as an issue but as a benefit as it provides lighting for people to safely walk around the display, people can see static elements like signs, cutouts and blowups without spotlighting etc.
I guess what i'm saying is work with the external lighting rather than against it, a great display not far from me has a wonderful garden train setup and a DARK street, unfortunately this makes it hard to see his train layout.

Cheers
Phil

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
William

I guess that's one way of reading it.

It was more about using the street light as a friend and element rather than treat it as an enemy.

But MORE POWER works as well

Phil

cleevesinoz

newbie here
We have a street light at the end of our cul de sac and a guy for western power came looking at our lights and we asked him to turn it off,he pulled the fuse out and said he would be back in January to put it back on ,he even said he will come back in November to turn it off again ,How cool is that

I

indudio

So, today I have just got an awesome birthday present. After making a complaint to the equivalent of the council here in Canberra, about the fact that we had 2 street lights within 8 m of each other (on a corner block) and that the amount of light was bright enough to play a game of cricket outside ( the light was so bright it made bedrooms like axiom light was on with the blinds shut) low and behold a service truck has just pulled up and are replacing the 2 heads of the lights with new designs that shine straight down and aren't as bright.

I am still amazed that they agreed with my views that the light levels were too high and actually did something about it.

So yes, the system does work sometimes!

radatti

New elf
like a lot of people have said already if its a new area (10 years or so) then you will find most street poles have a panel on them you will need a special screwdriver but you can open it and most poles have a breaker or rcd inside them just switch it off and when you are done switch back on again. just remember to put the panel back and also don't get caught and if no breaker or switch don't try anything messing with energex lines if a big no no