Another HI from Adelaide..

uziman

New elf
Hi all, I'm from Burton, Adelaide. I'm an electrician by trade and have been lurking on here for the past year and DIYC for a few more.
I normally just have a static display but last year I entered the world of computerised lights and built a 4.5m tall mega tree with 48 channels (16 Red,Green & Blue LED's). I'm currently using two 24 channel simple Renard controllers and DCSSR's .
I was looking at this year adding another 16 channels of white and arches but never had the time. So I just refined the tree a little.

I still have a pile of BigW LED strings from last years Christmas sales to do what I want but have just been looking into RGB strips and thinking this will be a better way to go instead of wrapping arches/poles and path outlines.
I'm not fully into what is required for pixels ect, so was just going to start slow and use 5050 RGB strips split to allow chasing across roof line, arches ect. and Renard DC controllers.
But what I have read so far on the forums I could change my mine completely. :D
[SIZE=78%] [/SIZE]

ryanschristmaslights

Senior elf
Administrator
Greetings, uziman.

There's definitely a growing number of fellow South Aussie's on here. Most of us in Adelaide use the LOR control systems, although there is an ex-renard user in that batch too (switched to LOR due to lack of time building up additional controllers). Looking outside of Adelaide, there's a renard user to the north, I'm sure he'll make himself welcome, as he loves renard :) .

RGB is definitely a different kettle of fish. There's a variety of options - 3-channel RGB strip, where the full strip acts as one, 9-channel RGB strip, where the full strip can chase in fixed groups and intelligent RGB pixel strip, where the strip is fully controllable. The intelligent RGB pixel is also sold in a string variety, simply "pixels".

The main difference with intelligent vs "dumb" RGB is that you feed a common power source and data instead of individual power for each of the colours/sections.

The wiki, learning centre forum and chat room are there to be used and I'm sure you'll learn what you want to learn from using them :) .

And on another note, check out the discussion topic for an Adelaide 2012 get together. At the moment its not confirmed, so if you any preferred dates or topics you want to learn or teach (via demonstration, discussion, workshops, etc) speak up now! :D

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer
LOR ..pth..

I have 4x ren64's an 4x ren48lsd's an a tiger120 all run DMX
Im also RGBdont worry about the LOR people they dont rule, they just go they way they know..
at least doing DIY we come under budget so we can make more different objects in our displays.. an RGB does look great

hope to chat soon
alec

Westons Lights

Westons Lights
Welcome to ACL mate,
terrific to see another computerised display.

I run an LOR display with 48 channels ...... I chose to go LOR as it was very user friendly and easy to set up.

I wish you all the best with your RGB set up and hope that it is more reliable for you than the one that I see locally.

Take Care mate,
Dave

Bird

LOR user
Welcome to ACL
uziman said:
but have just been looking into RGB strips and thinking this will be a better way to go instead of wrapping arches/poles and path outlines.
DIY or LOR, this is the place to learn about RGB. You have forums, Wiki and chat. Use them all. :)
Do you have a video of your tree? I always like to see others displays.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Welcome to ACL. I doesnt matter what you use, its the fact that you make an effort that counts. As you would already be aware there is a wealth of info here and dont be to afraid of pixels, its not that hard and being and electrician you already have an advantage over most as you understand the fundamentals.
Feel free to post questions and come into the chat to get further info, lots of helpful guys here.

uziman

New elf
Bird said:
Do you have a video of your tree? I always like to see others displays.

I don't have any video's at the moment but have some pics that I might upload in the mega tree section.