Another Newbie from Perth!

Dewy6

New elf
Hey guys,

Finally dipping the toe in the pixel pool this year after mucking around with a variety of lights and displays over the years!

Have skimmed the intro guide quickly and will definitely be diving in there more. Hoping to start really simple, a few window outlines and some lights along the roof line and then maybe build out from there over the next few years.

Pretty confident in the wiring, lights, power etc side of things being a sparkie by trade but the programming and Xlights setup seems pretty daunting! 😬

Have got hold of a Falcon F16V4 controller and have some 12V pixels, pixel strip and some pigtails on the way. I have access to cheap Meanwell Power supplies through work.

Really enjoying looking through the forum and looking forward to everyone’s progress in the ramp up to Xmas!

Jas0r

New elf
Hi @Dewy6

Welcome to the addiction. I was in your spot 3 years ago with a F16V3 and a couple of runs on the walls. Im now hooked and its grown every year. There is a good bunch of Perth people on here if you need anything

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Welcome to ACL @Dewy6

Sounds like you're already getting your head into the good stuff; house outlines are a really good place to start, and easy to get looking fantastic.
If you get stuck with anything, there's always someone in the chatroom, even at crazy hours with some of our US friends online.
Everyone is more than happy to help make your lights blink!

Cranzy

Full time elf
Welcome :)
In which part of Perth are you?
I know it is a bit short notice but a bunch of us blinky addicts are going for lunch this Wednesday (20 Sept) in the city if you are keen to join?

scamper

Dedicated elf
It may seem daunting, and at some level it is.
But keep it simple, as you are starting, the best thing you can do is get just 1 prop and work on that, set it up in the f16, then set it up in your software, then do a simple test followed by a very short sequence to see it work. (I did the THX intro)
When you see that prop light to the music you selected everything will make sense and as you are starting, it won't be daunting any more.

I on the other hand am trying to redo my whole yard after not doing lights for the last 3 years... Now that is daunting xD

Johnnyboy

Full time elf
Welcome @Dewy6 !!

Forums are great and I've learnt a bunch going through all the posts.
Also from Perth and also first year, so much to learn and figure out. Been really enjoyable.

Dewy6

New elf
Welcome :)
In which part of Perth are you?
I know it is a bit short notice but a bunch of us blinky addicts are going for lunch this Wednesday (20 Sept) in the city if you are keen to join?

Thanks Cranzy, just saw this so may be a bit late to join for lunch! 😝 I’m in Woodlands, near Innaloo, Doubleview etc. Are you running a full show this year? That’s the eventual goal I think for me. Will def be keen to pop around to some displays this year with the kids and have a chat to people who have been doing this for years

Cranzy

Full time elf
Thanks Cranzy, just saw this so may be a bit late to join for lunch! 😝 I’m in Woodlands, near Innaloo, Doubleview etc. Are you running a full show this year? That’s the eventual goal I think for me. Will def be keen to pop around to some displays this year with the kids and have a chat to people who have been doing this for years
All good :)
Yes, this will be our 5th year doing a full show.
Sounds like a plan, do a roadtrip 1 evening as there will be at least 5 other lights shows going on the way towards my house from yours. I'm in Alkimos.