Another newbie from Perth.

PhilPerkins

New elf
Hi all Phil from Hammond Park, Perth, Western Australia. Just getting into controllers and pixel lights this year. Last year was my first year ever doing lights of any sort and it turned into a war (friendly one) amongst neighbours with lots of ongoing banta. We have been all getting into each other since last Christmas so I've jumped in feet first to a Falcon Controller and FPP on RPi. I will only have a small display this year the funding has started to run out but hopefully keep building it up. I've been lucky enough to meet @paullyxmas76 who's only 15min down the road. I'll list my display as I get it sorted. I'm all up and running and have programmed and tested 3 sequences in xLights so far. Been a steep learning curve but getting there.

Johnnyboy

Full time elf
Welcome and great to see another Perthy. My first year this year but been living the Blinky life since Jan this year. Paul’s been great and we are very lucky to have a quality supplier so close. Make a big difference.
Make sure you post up your progress, always enjoy reading about everyone’s journey

CargoLights

Apprentice elf
Generous elf
Welcome! Adding an animated light show is certainly one way to jump ahead of the neighbors. I'm curious - have you said anything to any of them, or will they find out when you light them up? It could be a fun little surprise, especially if you wait until you're standing with at least one of them when you start up the show.

At any rate, good luck with it, and feel free to stop by the chat room if you have questions. There's always someone hanging out there, and we/they are always happy to answer questions.

Col The Hammer

New elf
Hi Phil, I'm Col and just down the road from you in Beeliar. This year is only my 2nd year with x-Lights etc but I have dived in pretty deep. Hoping to have Halloween set up again this year. More than happy to show you how I go about things. Cheers

PhilPerkins

New elf
Welcome! Adding an animated light show is certainly one way to jump ahead of the neighbors. I'm curious - have you said anything to any of them, or will they find out when you light them up? It could be a fun little surprise, especially if you wait until you're standing with at least one of them when you start up the show.

At any rate, good luck with it, and feel free to stop by the chat room if you have questions. There's always someone hanging out there, and we/they are always happy to answer questions.
I have not said anything, no. I've been very quiet. I think one of them might have an idea I might be atleast adding music but that's it. I have seen one of them at Bunnings buying lytworx reindeer so I think I know the direction they are going. Looking forward to Dec 1!

PhilPerkins

New elf
Hi Phil, I'm Col and just down the road from you in Beeliar. This year is only my 2nd year with x-Lights etc but I have dived in pretty deep. Hoping to have Halloween set up again this year. More than happy to show you how I go about things. Cheers
Hi Col, thanks for the offer. I'm working my way through it fairly well at the moment. But I'll definitely reach out if I get stuck or need advice. Nice to hear there's another display nearby.

PhilPerkins

New elf
Welcome and great to see another Perthy. My first year this year but been living the Blinky life since Jan this year. Paul’s been great and we are very lucky to have a quality supplier so close. Make a big difference.
Make sure you post up your progress, always enjoy reading about everyone’s journey
Hi @Johnnyboy. I know right. Other than my falcon and the RPi I've got everything through Paul. Makes a nice change to have a local supplier in Perth.

Cranzy

Full time elf
Welcome :)
I think there is atleast 13 new displays in Perth this year which is awesome.
I'm NOR in Alkimos.

bassowl

New elf
Hi Phil, this is my first year also, I'm just in Aubin Grove. Look forward to seeing the show!

RoybiWan

New elf
Hey Col,
I’ve been interested for a while but have yet to purchase anything, I’m interested to have a look at your setup and see where to get started.
I was thinking of just replacing the star on my roof with an animated one as a test.

Col The Hammer

New elf
Hey Col,
I’ve been interested for a while but have yet to purchase anything, I’m interested to have a look at your setup and see where to get started.
I was thinking of just replacing the star on my roof with an animated one as a test.
Hi RoybiWan,

I would certainly recommend starting with something like a star before jumping in too deep (I didn't start simple though and wasn't smart enough to ask) More than happy to show you how I have gone about things (not that I'm an expert by any means)

PhilPerkins

New elf
I have not said anything, no. I've been very quiet. I think one of them might have an idea I might be atleast adding music but that's it. I have seen one of them at Bunnings buying lytworx reindeer so I think I know the direction they are going. Looking forward to Dec 1!
Just an update on my little show but neighbour competition. It has been a success!

Attachments

• PXL_20231129_112524554.TS_exported_28622.jpg
    PXL_20231129_112524554.TS_exported_28622.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 15