Another newbie matrix question?

rjm12rjm12

New elf
Hi All,

Another newbie trying to do a matrix. I have 14 strips of these:
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/BLACK-PCB-5m-DC5V-WS2812B-led-pixel-srip-IP68-30pcs-WS2812B-M-with-30pixels-reverse-protection/701799_926778326.html

I have a ECG-P12s as my controller. I was thinking of a 36x50 matrix, which I believe would allow each P12 channel to control 150 pixels. I'll have two strips for spares. Does this sound about right? Also what should the spacing be between the strips, it seems as if 4in is popular? I'm thinking 36 vertical strips across for about 12ft(at 4in spacing) and 50 pixels down.

Am I on the right track? The wiring would look something like this for each 150 pixels.

^ V
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
V ^

Any better options?

Thanks,

Rob

Boof63

Senior elf
Hi, would suggest running cables left to right or left to right and then right to left on the next run . This would reduce the number of solder jobs to do. Also how far away will be the viewers from the matrix , if close to people watching you may want a tighter spacing , but if some distance from people's then 4 inches is what a lot of people talk about . I'm going to work on the space between pixels ,using the spacing as the distance between each pixel, but I,m also 20 meters from the road side,
Cheers. Boof63

rjm12rjm12

New elf
Hi,

I'm planning to put the matrix on a fence about 30 metes from where people will view it. I was planning to just use the full 5 meter strips, but when I played around with software, 12 pixels high does not seem to look very good for anything more than text. So I was hoping to make something with a little more depth, that's why
I thought to cut in 50 pixel increments. Are you suggesting to cut them in half which would give 24x50? Then that would be 2.4 meters (24*4in spacing) by 2.5 meters (50 pixels).

Thanks for the reply,

Rob

dale82

Senior elf
The strip I have used for my matrix is WS2811 50 pixels x 5 meters. I use 24 strips at an inch spacing. Most people are viewing mine from about 15m away.