Another Nu-bee here

tupes

New elf
I'm looking at the rigid vs. the roll which I thought may be a bit eaiser to use. But im wanting to use the pex as an alternative to the hdpe tubing that others are using. Yes I was planning on it inside the tubing to have the glowing look. But first I was going to get a small piece and see how it looks as I may not go that route. What are some other ways people are mounting the strips. I've seen some mount them on the outside of pvc and then attach the pvc pipe to the facia. The only other way I could think would be to use double sided tape or velcro strips.

Bill Ellick

Full time elf
Yea, mounting is always an issue to deal with unfortunately! ::)

The surface you are mounting too can make an influence on things due to how many holes you want to make in it!
Most people use something to mount the pixels too such as a flat piece of wood, pvc pipe, place the pixels in something like C channel for vinyl siding, or attach it to flat pvc or vinyl and then to the house.
I see that James over on DIY has come up with a new form of flat pvc that he is making with a lot of holes to attach pixels too and also offset holes so that the strip can be attached to fascia or the house. Looks very promising and a nice way to make up sections of pixels that you can hang and then take down and store on the off season.

I would say to use ty wraps to attach the pixel strip to something is probably going to be your best solution. Just place the ty wrap so that it is not directly over a pixel and don't clinch it down too tight and you are good to go. I have seen where others have used tape to attach pixels or they do make small clips for the strips that go over the strips and have a hole on each side to attach the clip to whatever is under it.
I personally use ty wraps myself as I can use as few or as many as I need to make things stay straight as I would like them but I am looking at James strips as well because I really like how it will keep the pixels in a nice straight line and I can still attach the strips to anything like a pvc pipe section so that I can take it down and store it easily.

Just as an FYI, it is good to put where you are located in your profile so that people will see it when you post. That way you are more likely to get suggestions that are suitable for your area rather than from people who live in an area that gets way different weather than you do! I live in upstate NY so I get -30 in the winter which is way different than the folks who live in California so my advice may not work so well for those who live in a hotter environment if you see what I mean. ::)

Bird

LOR user
A little late but
Welcome.gif

to ACL

Devo

Apprentice elf
Community project designer
Hi Tupes,

Firstly let me be clear from the outset that I am from Advatek Lighting (PixLite manufacturer).

I just wanted to help clarify something regarding the "Alphapix" controllers you are considering buying, so that you are making a fully informed decision:

The Aphapix controllers are in fact a cheaper Chinese controller that are based on our PixLite controllers. As you would have noticed on the HC website, the specs of both controllers are almost identical. This means that while the Alphpix controllers are certainly cheaper, they are also as-yet unproven in the field and have no direct manufacturer support or warranty behind them. Holiday Coro merely re-sells the controllers and therefore will only able able to provide after-sales support as best as someone other than the manufacturer could if there are any issues.

You will also not be able to contact the manufacturer directly for support or warranty as you would be able to with us, Sandevices or J1 Sys. If there are any bugs or design flaws, fixes would have to go through a Chinese company via HC rather than through a western company like the other controllers. These are just some extra things worth considering before you make your purchase.

A Chinese copy of our controller is obviously very frustrating to us compared to other competing companies coming up with their own products and ideas. Nevertheless the aforementioned points remain true[SIZE=78%].[/SIZE]

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
These controllers seem to be a rip off of the Advatek controllers, seems to me that Holiday Coro has not done the right thing by Advatek by working with a Chinese manufacturer to copy someone elses design, the only difference is the addition of an LCD screen.

dale82

Senior elf
Hi Tupes, I mount all my flexible strip to conduit and just use conduit clips, at the end of the season it just unclips and I store them in PVC pipes with end caps.