Any interest in a module tree frame?

stiebs

New elf
Hi all,

I am currently in discussion with a plastics fabricator about manufacturing a modular mini/maxi tree system. It will consist basically of the corner pieces required to assemble a tree from 10mm rods (eg plastic, wooden dowel, aluminium tubing etc).

It would have the corner pieces required for the base, additional support pieces (and possibly bracing) mid-way, as well as a capping piece.

The design is such that with specified rod lengths (and additional support components for larger trees), you could easily assemble a tree anywhere between 1m and 3m high.

The ratio of design and tooling costs vs materials and manufacture is obviously going to be pretty high for only a small run, so I'm throwing it out there to see how much interest there is in the community to be able to purchase a kit like this, and how much would you be willing to pay for such a kit?

I would sell it either as a set of just the connectors, plus detail on suitable rod lengths, or as a full ready-to-assemble kit.

I have yet to finalise the design, but it will be either 5- or 6- sided, and will definitely accommodate easily both a spiral/horizonal wrap as well as a vertical wrap.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Some pictures of what you're talking about would probably let us visualise a bit better and therefore might get more people interested.

stiebs

New elf
Here is a wireframe sketch of my design. So what will be manufactured is all the corner connectors for the base, for the mid-point support and optional cross bracing, plus the top cone to hold it all together.

In the attached sketch, there is a second set of horizontal bars right near the top which will allow for wrapping a vertical light string run around. For a vertical wrap, you would also be able to add short legs on the base, so that the bottom horizontal bars are lifted slightly off the ground.

Attachments

stiebs

New elf
The main objectives are to undercut the cost of a PVC tree, and also to have it readily disassembled for off season storage.

Unless someone has a better source for PVC than I can find, a PVC tree can get quite pricey...