Any way to busk a pixel show?

technodisney

New and Confused Elf
In the professional lighting world consoles like the MA2 are extremely versatile for busking live performances using professional LX fixtures.

Is there any equivalent piece of hardware or software that allows busking with pixels?
Obviously you can use art net to control pixels and run some effects, but it feels like it would be impossible to do whole house effects like as can be done in xlights.

Has anyone got something like this working?

(I am thinking out of curiousity, no actual plans or ideas)

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
I have only used Chamsys MagicQ and xLights.
In the Chamsys PC app I tested then transferred to the console. It runs fine on the PC app and is amazing for free.
But I'm doing dead simple effects, I have no need to get into the deep pixel mapping Chamsys allows. I have just scraped the surface.
chamsys.PNG

Next is Madrix. I think someone on here is able to give a discount code too.

Then a hidden gem in xLights. 'xFade'. It's not listed in start menu but installs with the package. It uses 'Jukebox' in xLights to allow 'states' of effects, it runs like a cross fader.
xfade.PNG

There is also plenty more bits of software out there.

Notenoughlights

400,000+ twinkly lights
Would be neat if FPP could do this and map effect sequences to a keyboard key. Similar to the testing feature but with user control via a computer keyboard or even external input buttons using GIPO terminals. Always wanted to live control my lights but could never figure out a way to do it.

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Would be neat if FPP could do this and map effect sequences to a keyboard key. Similar to the testing feature but with user control via a computer keyboard or even external input buttons using GIPO terminals. Always wanted to live control my lights but could never figure out a way to do it.
Touch Portal is a way to do this, @TRAVISTY gave a talk about this at the Syd mini in the video below:

View: https://youtu.be/8ZCrLqM9Cgo?t=8512

And @darylc showed how to use FPP plugins like Big Buttons:

View: https://youtu.be/3UbjlkKP5WE?t=14587

I use a program called Lioranboard to achieve a similar outcome, and it includes the ability for Twitch stream viewers to my channel to redeem points and turn on different effects.

DavidJ247

Full time elf
In the professional lighting world consoles like the MA2 are extremely versatile for busking live performances using professional LX fixtures.

Is there any equivalent piece of hardware or software that allows busking with pixels?
Obviously you can use art net to control pixels and run some effects, but it feels like it would be impossible to do whole house effects like as can be done in xlights.

Has anyone got something like this working?

(I am thinking out of curiousity, no actual plans or ideas)
Hey Technodisney, MA2/3 and similar consoles like HOG, Avo, etc are capable of controlling pixels, they can send the same sACN (E1.31) data to a pixel controller, the difference is professional consoles often have a limited number of universes available, and/or require additional processing unit(s) to manage more universes. It is common to get 4-16 universes from a console which would be enough for many shows, but larger displays could easily require more universes. Programming is another consideration, most modern consoles will have the ability to do pixel mapping and groups but not to the level achievable in xLights. Pro consoles can also be prohibitively expensive for a DIY hobby.
xLights is purpose built for our hobby and is brilliant for controlling pixels in all sorts of configurations, props and groups and building a show for PLAYBACK. Conversely, pro consoles are brilliant for busking, on the fly/in the moment and give a physical/tactile control surface to control lighting LIVE. Horses for courses I guess, I wouldn't want to only use xLights to run a rock show, nor would I want to only use MA to run a Christmas display.
Could they be used TOGETHER? I haven't tried, but interested to know if anyone has used xlights along with a pro console? Again, I haven't done it so just spitballing here but I could envisage building scenes/effects using the jukebox function then triggering these scenes (via sACN or Artnet?) from the console.
xLight is so powerful, I've often wondered how to harness that and bring it into a pro rig.