anyone use these strings?

candlelight

New elf

Bill Ellick

Full time elf
You are correct in that there is a 2811 IC for each LED so that also each string of 50 would be 150 channels as well.
I have read that some people have found these to not be that good at being waterproof because of the way they are potted onto the wires. If you look closely at the first photo on there you can see how the wire comes out the sides and the potting is just around the wire so that it can peel away for the wire over time and let moisture in. I do remember someone posted pictures of those and it showed the water in the bottom of them. I don't remember if it was on this forum or another one though, sorry.

I have ordered a slightly different style of the same ones:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/RGB-full-LED-pixel-module-WS-2811IC-DC5V-input-50pcs-a-string-IP68/563831930.html

They are the same specs as the string you showed but they are potted in a different manner that is supposed to be better at moisture resistance. The wires come up under the IC board and are potted in better it looks.
I have not received them yet so I can't say for sure but it will be interesting to see how they hold up.

candlelight

New elf

Bill Ellick

Full time elf
Well "generally" most pixel strings are at 100MM spacing (4" roughly). That seems like the most common spacing for them that I have found.
But your best bet is to send Ray a note and ask to be sure. You can also get the spacing at whatever you want just by asking him too. They can make whatever you want if you need something different.

Beefer

Apprentice elf
beeiilll said:
Well "generally" most pixel strings are at 100MM spacing (4" roughly). That seems like the most common spacing for them that I have found.
But your best bet is to send Ray a note and ask to be sure. You can also get the spacing at whatever you want just by asking him too. They can make whatever you want if you need something different.

Agree 100% - I've received some custom 2" (5cm) spaced strings and from the street they are VERY dense :) which for this particular display element is exactly what I wanted (he even did them with white cables at no extra cost which makes them look amazing on a white christmas tree!)

These more moisture resistant ones are definitely much better - probably closer to IP68 than most.