ANZAC day - 2017

multicast

Senior elf
ANZAC thoughts.
Very proud and thinking about the family members who I knoew served in areas of active conflict. Grand-dad Williamson who served in the NZ infantry in Palestine and Egypt, ( loosing his brother at his side ). Grand-dad Frazer who served in the Pacific with the RNZAF, with Gt Uncle George. Also Grandma Frazer who served in the WAF ( i think with her sisters? ). I know in more distant times there were family who served in WW1 at both Gallopi and Passchendaele.
More recently I also remember my Dad, who served in Iraq after the 2003 invasions in Basrah, in a humanitarian roles, trying to make life better for the innocent people who had got caught in between the craziness. He was born on ANZAC day, so he always joked he got a holiday on his birthday, but actually in later years the joke was turned on him, as he was the officiating Chaplin at the ANZAC service in Tonga for a good number of years.
As i now am very 'middle-aged', the likelihood of me ever going to the front seems more and more distant. My thoughts turn to the younger generations of our family.. Could they ever have to face the terror that my grandfathers did? This world has become a crazy place and the risk of a mis-calculated strike is a real possibility.

I hope for a better, safer world. Was the effort of our forfathers in vain?

diyer

Full time elf
I'm not sure of my grandparents involvement in the conflicts but my dad was a sapper serving in the Middle East and Asia constructing runways and some time spent as a crewman on RAF Catalinas flying out of Ceylon.
Our fathers and forefathers did what they had to do to make their world a safer place, i appreciate their bravery and selfessness. It's a pity that the cycle of conflict keeps repeating itself.
As we commemorate this Anzac Day the world is more unsettled at the moment than it’s been for a long time, the whole world in is turmoil and close to home we have the paranoid dictator of North Korea threatening us with a nuclear holocaust in Darwin.
We all wish for a safer world, but right now it seems far away.