(Archive) Dual Voltage

D

deblen_LOR

Originally posted September 1, 2009

Hi,
I am looking at using 24 volt DC one side, channels 1 to 8, 240 volt AC the otheride, 9 to 16, on a CTB16PC board.

Remember reading somwehere that it can be done, but cannot serem to find the post.

Did a search, but no luck.

Any ideas,

Thanks

Deblen

E

Ewan_Humphrey_LOR

I'm not the right person, but I'm pretty sure that whilst you can have AC boards or DC boards, you can't have ones that do both.
Has everyone got their sale orders, or been contacted for postage quotes? I haven't heard yet, but it was four days into the sale before I ordered.

Thanks,
Ewan - Langwarrin, VIC

K

kamahilights_LOR

The CTB16PC is a "triac output" board, and as such, can only control AC loads. I do not own one so can't say if it can "as is" out of the box be built to control 2 different voltages on each of its banks (say, 230 and 36v) but I can assure you I have successfully modified LOR boards to control 36v AND 24v on the same board, yet run the electronics off 230v.
Actually it looks very much like a CTB16PC that I modified so can't see why one side couldn't control 110v and the other 230v (which would need to be the side that also feeds the onboard electronics via the transformer. However for lower voltage the triac gate limit resistors have to be reduced. In fact they should be increased for 230v use, and this will be the cause of the problems that some of you are having with channels staying on, etc.

I have been building triac and SCR controllers for 30+ years so have learnt a lot of what can't be read in books!

G

Grant_VK5GR_LOR

Len,
I wouldnt go mixing 24dc and 240ac in the one board. The clearances around that PCB are not enough to make it safe and you cant switch DC loads with the triacs anyway from memory.

The DC boards are MOSFET based (CMB16) and work differently.

Within a DC board you can run split DC rails. The lights video I posted had channels 1-8 running 28V DC and channels 9-16 running 36V DC.

Ewan,

I bought in the sale - they contacted me within 2 weeks of placing the order and I got my new boards within 5-6 days after that. If you havent heard by now it might be worth following them up?

Regards,
Grant VK5GR

D

deblen_LOR

Hi All,
Thanks for the feed back.

I will have to wait till next year to get some more DC boards.

Deblen

K

kamahilights_LOR

There is NO board available in the lighting world that will switch ac AND dc. The ONLY automation cards that we use at work that will do this are relay output! Of course you can't dim with relays!
The DC boards as Grant says uses MOSFET - in fact N channel mosfets that work by taking the negative return of the channel's load to a common ground - this is the exact opposite to ac boards, where the common is the phase supply. If you use a separate 5v REGULATED supply for the electronics. there is no need to connect ANY of your load power supplies POSITIVE lead to the DC boards at all. However ALL yourload power supplies NEGATIVE leads MUST be connected together. When you do this, they can control different voltages not just on each bank, but actually each channel! We use +5v, 12v, 24v, 36v and 48v on our Dlight boards, which have the same "output as the LOR boards . . .

However before you attempt this, be VERY VERY sure you understand exactly what I am saying!

D

deblen_LOR

Hi,
Thanks for the info, I think you have satisfied my question.

It just proves, pays to ask questions, especially, in relation to 240 volt,

Thanks again to all.

Deblen

A

AAH_LOR

24V AC on 1 side of an AC controller and 240V AC on the other is easy.

Thats what I do with the 8 controllers I have. It lets me use all the low voltage lights that I have as well as controlling the 240V ropes and ornaments. I've made a few posts here about how I do it and it works great and I'd recommend it to anyone with a mixed collection of 24V AC and 240V AC lights