Arduino Pixel controller testers wanted

elnino

Full time elf
Hi all, I have reworked my Pixel controller code to enable up to 2 universes of pixels.

This setup uses the cheap ENC28J60 Ethernet modules and not the common arduino ethernet shield ($$)

I have tested the code on my pixel arrays but I do not have any long strips yet to test the code completely.

The code gives you 2 options:
1 + 0.4 Universe support - Full 512 channel support but limited to 240 pixels across 2 logical universes
2 Universe support - 1024 Channels but spread over 4 universes (256 channels per universe)

The reason that it's configured this way is purely due to RAM limitations of the Atmega328. The second option frees up RAM by limiting the ethernet receive buffer in favor of pixel data but at a slight compromise of speed.

If you're keen to get your hands on it and want to have a shot at testing it for me - please leave a note here and I will pass the code along. Otherwise I will release it once I have my own strips for testing.

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer
yep i have one of them modules laying around.. (in for a penny, in for a pound)

care to do a basic wiring diagram for the simple people here to follow

ive ordered more micro's but i have others around i can recode for the testing.. or just use a spare UNO

damo1271

Full time elf
Yes, please count me in as well for the testing. I need to order the Arduinos and ethernet module and I can do that tonight. Is it the standard pro mini or the one with the slightly different pinout that you mentioned in a prior post?

elnino

Full time elf
Thanks guys, I will PM a link to the code soon.

You can use any arduino you want. If you already have a UNO or clone, that is fine. Even the ethernet module could be any version. The only limitation comes from the fact that by default, the Ethernet module uses 3.3v and not 5v. If you are using a UNO, it has a decent enough 3.3v regulator for you to use to power the module. However, I don't think the Nano or Pro mini will be able to power it (I don't think they have 3.3v regulators).

This is the reason I buy the modules with built in 3.3v regulator - It just simplifies things.

The connections are pretty basic:

Module -> Arduino
SI -> 11
SO -> 12
SCK -> 13
CS -> 8

Other than that, it's just 5/3.3v and Gnd.

The Pixel string is set to WS2812b GRB on pin 7 by default in the code but I can help with changing if you need.

JPB

Full time elf
Just bought the ethernet module in Smartalec's link to use with the uno clone that I already have.

I am planning to run a string of pixels that will be in star at the top of a midi tree.

Jon

bluzervic

65,768 Channels, 185 Universes
I can do some testing if needed, I have practically tested all the other hardware out there :p

Let me know

-blu