are they 2 ways to supply power to RGB?

bernard

New elf
This is really basic but could you clarify this for me?
  1. Some controllers will provide both data and power to the RGBs while some others will only provide data and power must be fed straight to the RGB lights from the power supply?
  2. If correct, what should I consider to help me decide which type of controller is better suited for me?
I am right at the beginning playing with RGB lights; waiting for 2 strings of 50 RGBs 2811 5V to arrive from Ray and need to select the controller and power supply.
Help and advice appreciated!

Habbosrus

Back again
I am using e6804 from Sandevices for my first year. It's set up is easy and so far testing is going well. From the information I have gathered from the very knowledgeable here on ACL, it's a personal thing and there is no right or wrong answer. Support is also very good.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I use both methods here.
power from the board is good for a centralized approach but voltage drop and distance can be consideration if you have lots of items spread over a wide area.
The separate power method is good as a distributed approach and works well for spread out displays or where you have a very long run and want to have 4 universes of lights connected together and will be using different power supplies over the distance for power injection.

Things to consider is the distance away from the lights, will the power supply be located closer to the lights than the controller, do you have many different item close together, do you want a very long run, ect ect.

In the end they all will run pixels so really many will decide based on budgets more than how to connect up.

bernard

New elf
Thank you for confirming that both options work.
Is there a tutorial on power injection somewhere? I think I saw something on holidaycoro...I'll have to go back and check it out.
Thanks again

DanJ

Full time elf
Bernard--I am at same place as you; first year to sequence and first to go RGB. I ordered the WS2811 strips 5V from Ray Wu's store after reading a lot of good press about him here & at planet Christmas forum. I also purchased a 350W 5V power supply from Ray Wu's store. I hope this helps you!! Look for the RGB101 manual on this forum; it has lots of good info in it. Not 100% on this, but it might provide some guidance in regards to 5V distances....

bernard

New elf
Thanks for the clarifications, it helps a lot.
DanJ, isn't the RGB101 manual awesome? there is a lot of good info here! Good luck with your first show. I actually did my first one last year with 32 channels. I am going 64 this year and recently decided to fool around with RGBs but that, I am going to keep very small this year.