ASAP Pole Base

Baron

Apprentice elf
Hello last year I build the Walter Monkhouse ASAP Senior pole and base (someone cool gave me the base - thx Dan.)

My question is - has anyone ever done an in the ground ASAP pole base in the ground? If so, can you share more details about depth, construction, how you did it. I would love to build one after this Christmas season when I redo my lawn. My mega tree killed my lawn and still hasn’t recovered. Guess that’s the price for cool lights.

thx for your help.

scamper

Dedicated elf
It really depends on the height of the pole and the strength to determine if you need extra wires to hold it up, but all that aside, I have 3 permanent holes in my yard. I started with 1 where I wanted my mega tree, then realised the next year it needed to move and when I did the second one, I also decided a 3rd base would be good for other props. My poles are around 12ft high and I basically found some pvc pipe that slides over them nicely and dug a hole around 3 foot deep and concreted them in the ground with around 120lb of concrete.
I use them throughout the xmas season, then 2 of them are removed and I place a cap over them and bury them under an inch of dirt.
The 3rd one has a flag on it when the mega tree comes down.
I know the ASAP pole base is a little more clever than a standard fit and remove scenario, but I am sure you can come up with something that suits.
Also, the dirt will make a difference, as if you have sandy soil, it may need to be deeper, or more concrete than if you have hard rocky soil.

uncledan

Senior elf
Generous elf
I ran into the same problems with killing the lawn. I redid my design in 2020 I think... and put a 2-1/2" PVC sleeve in the ground that the pole slid into. Problem I ran into is the pole was so heavy I had to bring a crane over to install and remove from sleeve. I think a mega tree pole that tilts, makes a lot more sense if you have the room for it. From what I recall @darylc and @LawrenceDriveLights have done something like this