Attaching led string to roof tiles and roof caps

Thomas Owen

New elf
Was wondering if anybody new any good ways of installing lights on roof tiles. I would like to install a massive string of lights to create the illusion of the whole front section of my roof being lit up. Kinda like a zig zag pattern on my roof but maybe each string being 15-20 cm apart to make them look like one massive net that isn’t extremely expensive and annoying to pack up and install. The roof tiles themself (not caps) is what I need to attach them too. I still haven’t found a good way to do this. I have a 100 meter string. I also need a more efficient way of putting led strings onto the roof caps. My roof caps are painted in a different colour than the tiles. This paint is like the same texture as sandpaper and is flaking off leaving red sand powdery stuff everywhere. This means that I can’t use tape. I’ve tried and they kinda stay but not for long. Aso tried using sellys bounding glue to attach plastic light clips to roof but they deteriate and end up becoming unattached because of the bad paint. If anyone knows a good way of doing this I’d much appreciate it. Thanks.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Instead of going right to the ridge cap it might be easier to slip some sort of clip into the 1st joint below the cap. Some sort of simple L shaped piece of wire or similar could be slipped under and the 300mm or so difference in distance probably wouldn't be noticeable.

Nuzzy

Apprentice elf
We use a hot glue gun to put our stuff on the roof. We tried silicone etc but they kept coming off but the hot glue holds them stable as.

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
We use a hot glue gun to put our stuff on the roof. We tried silicone etc but they kept coming off but the hot glue holds them stable as.
I found the opposite. I used glue but became brittle after 1 season, so now I use silicone and it has mostly held for 2-3 seasons.
I silicone ziptie mounts to the roof tiles and then once dried (24hrs) I ziptie my conduit to these

Thomas Owen

New elf
I’ve managed to attached the lights to the roof. I used tile sealant to attach some hooks to the roof caps at each corner. I just tied the lights to the cable by going around the hook a couple of times and pulling the string tight so it sat straight on the cap. To install lights on the tiles themselves I just tucked the led underneath the tile slightly only 1 ever meter of so. Worked well. Until I had realised I was 20m worth of light short. I suppose it just depends on condition, experience and the type of roof. The hot glue unfortunately ended up in the gutter because it decided to melt in the recent 40* heat. Tile sealer stayed on though.

tom82

New elf
Two things I've tried with success
1. Silicon some cable tie clips (make sure you remove the backing paper / double sided tape first) to the tiles. Then cable tie lights down. They need replacing every 2-3 years in my experience.
2. Use fine tile wire hooked in under the tiles (twist around strings). This has lasted longer for me.

Good luck