Attaching lights to tiled roof

Kaden

Pixels! I need more pixels!
ѕυ;ρєямαη said:
All my strip for the roof is attached too cable tie mounts. After you clean the tile attach it with some silicone then you can mount to them.

I did this yesterday and it worked, thanks for heads up on that one!

AussieDoug

Full time elf
How do you think they would handle the central Queensland sun / heat?
Nothing seems to last outside here, the solar pool heater tubing only lasted a year before it perished and turned into a soaker hose.

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
The key thing is Doug the roof surface needs to be clean, I t gets just as Hot here in Ipswich. The mounts themselves seem to handle the sun fine

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf

coopz05

Apprentice elf
Im looking for a way to attach my strips to the front of my new place which is totally rendered flat. I assume these would work, but can someone tell me if they are easy to remove without leaving silicone residue etc on the house afterwards?

It s a brand new home so I know the Mrs wouldnt wont them on the home all year, nor do I want to deal with the conversation if its ruins the render. lol.

Greg.Ca

Apprentice elf
What are the dimentions of this device and where can they be purchased in America? --Greg--

ShellNZ

Senior elf
Here are some on ebay Greg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-PACK-Cable-Zip-Tie-Mounts-20x20-mm-75-x-75-in-Self-Adhesive-Anchor-Natural-/350847329405?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51b021647d

I got ones 28mm x 28mm. I got white and black, the black are for my eve facsia and roofing, the white are for the weatherboard part of house. I also have brick on my home so I mixed some paint to make the same color as brick and painted some white mounts. All blends well :)

My mounts are put on the roof files with silicon/bond. They stick very well. As for getting them off we will find out in a few years. As they blend well we wont be taking them off until we move or are done with Xmas lighting which is many years off.

coopz05

Apprentice elf
If I used the cable tie things to attach my conduit frames around windows etc, using clear silicone, do you know if I could remove them afterwards and scrub or wipe off the silicone?

Would you be able to tell that something had been stuck there?

Would it strip the paint or render when removed?

ShellNZ

Senior elf
If its the grainy kind of roof tiles it wont strip it but you would have to pick the silicon off I would think, unless theres a good silicon remover on the market.

I prob wouldnt put it on wood/weatherboard unless you dont mind possibly having to repaint it after removal.

To be honest Im not that sure, will find out one day I guess.

coopz05

Apprentice elf
Mine is going to be attached to render, not the roof.

Hopefully it will be ok.

I think I will stick one down in an inconspicuous location, leave it for a week and remove it to see the results.

I

indudio

Hi'

Do you remove all the adhesive backing of these so the silicon goes on the plastic?

I tried it a few days ago by just taking the paper of the sticky part and putting the silicone on it. However it just pulled away from the silicone on the roof tile when I tried to attach the conduit. The silicone is stuck to the roof well.

Thanks

adski

Dave Brown
indudio said:
Do you remove all the adhesive backing of these so the silicon goes on the plastic?
YES! As you've found, the silicone won't bond to the adhesive on the mounts.

Dave