attaching to tin roof

kkaciee

New elf
Hi! I've recently moved into a new house, one with a tin roof. I have some standing rope light reindeer and sleigh sets (which are kind of heavy for what they are), and want to put it on a flat section of my roof, but have no idea how to fasten it down. any ideas?
Thank you!

MarcD

Full time elf
We did the following:

We attached the rope light display to some pieces of steel frame from a gazebo we bought from Ikea. That gave the whole thing a solid foundation to keep it together.
Then we removed a number of roofing screws, put them through steel angle brackets and screwed them back in place (with a lot of Selleys roof and gutter silicone).
Then we hauled the thing onto the roof and cable tied the frame onto the angle brackets.

This is the third year we've done it and it's survived some pretty major Qld storms in the past without budging. Our biggest problem this year was that most of the original cable ties holding the rope light to the wire frame had perished and fallen off. We had to re-attach everything using a picture as reference for how it was supposed to look.

In January, we pull it down but leave the angle brackets up on the roof. I hope that helps. Sorry that the photo isn't clearer.

Attachments

• RoofMount.jpg
    RoofMount.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 56

Jamie

Lighting up the night.
I like working with tin roof. I get full saddles from the electrical shop and bend and close them together to form a teardrop looking shape. Remove roof screw and screw the saddle down. Now can be used from year to year without removing screws. As for standing something up, just wire onto the saddles and put a support stick back and wire it to a screw spot in the next row back..