Audio Connection

BrianZ

Full time elf
Hello all. I tried doing a search, but couldn’t really get an answer to probably a simple question...how do you connect audio to play the xlights sequence and music? Is it through the RPI or from the PC? Are the songs loaded to the USB that connects to the Pi and then out to a speaker source? Did I just answer my own question? Lol

BAZMick

Full time elf
Generous elf
Yes, the sequence and songs can be loaded on a USB or more commonly the micro SD card using the FPP upload from xlights. Plug a 3.5mm audio cable into the RPi that then goes to a speaker or FM transmitter or both using double adaptor cables

BrianZ

Full time elf
Yes, the sequence and songs can be loaded on a USB or more commonly the micro SD card using the FPP upload from xlights. Plug a 3.5mm audio cable into the RPi that then goes to a speaker or FM transmitter or both using double adaptor cables
Excellent, thank you!!

Nojoy

Full time elf
Another example: i ran my xschedule from my pc in my office, 30m ethernet out into the front yard. Also used a projector with hdmi over ethernet. Sent audio via that to the projector.
I then had a 3.5mm splitter on the projector's audio out jack. 1 side went into an fm transmitter for cars to tune to, the other went to an old av receiver powering 3 speakers in the yard.

BrianZ

Full time elf
Another example: i ran my xschedule from my pc in my office, 30m ethernet out into the front yard. Also used a projector with hdmi over ethernet. Sent audio via that to the projector.
I then had a 3.5mm splitter on the projector's audio out jack. 1 side went into an fm transmitter for cars to tune to, the other went to an old av receiver powering 3 speakers in the yard.
Very nice. I thought about the PC running the show with the scheduler because I have a main laptop I use for home and personal stuff. But I do like having the Pi because I don’t have to keep my PC on for hours everyday. Decision, decisions lol

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
Brian, if you only have the one computer/laptop, then use a Pi and run FPP. I was lucky and got a couple of older laptops for free so run xScheduler from one of them, no way I'd tie up my main computer for hours every night.

BrianZ

Full time elf
Brian, if you only have the one computer/laptop, then use a Pi and run FPP. I was lucky and got a couple of older laptops for free so run xScheduler from one of them, no way I'd tie up my main computer for hours every night.
Actually, I have a spare PC that I could use. But I’m a little conflicted if I should run the PC for hours everyday or just use a Pi to my main controller. I’ve seen people having issues with the Pi. So not sure. But do you know why people would use multiple Pi’s?

Nojoy

Full time elf
From what I've read, the pi doesn't reboot well (corrupt sd card) on power loss. I fully automated my display this year through my google home and a simple task scheduler on win10.
For multiple pis, one reason is to sync video. A single pi can't do FPP, audio and video out.

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
Multiple Pis to share the load (so to speak) one Pi as Master the rest as Slaves. For instance one Pi could be used to run a projector in sync with your show, that Pi would have the video files on it and the Master wouldn't.

BrianZ

Full time elf
Multiple Pis to share the load (so to speak) one Pi as Master the rest as Slaves. For instance one Pi could be used to run a projector in sync with your show, that Pi would have the video files on it and the Master wouldn't.
I see. The PC it is, lol.