AusChristmasLighting Contact Details

Daniel1973

Full time elf
Hi Guys and Girls,

Discussions in Chat identified that although a lot of members are well known to each other, there are in fact members who are only known by their ACL handle. That being said with Mini's upcoming and the opportunities to meet many members you only know as the name on the screen, have a name to converse may assist in building report within the Blinky community.

Additionally last year there was a Zoom Friday show off where all participants received a sequence from sponsored US businesses and having a list of details and emails definitely helped out with the distribution of these prizes.

Understand not all members will be comfortable providing these details, however having a name will definitely assist in building our community.

For those that are happy to provide details send me a PM and I will update details for the Admin team.

Last edited:

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
I think I'm fairly easy to find details on. Name is all over the place, contact details on every manual on my site, house location linked on here and also off my site.

ryanschristmaslights

Senior elf
Administrator
Hi Daniel1973 and all,

Names
In terms of member handles (usernames) and real names, the choice is really down to the individual. Some people might prefer to use their real name as part of their handle, while other people might rather use an alternative identity. Either is fine :). We do allow members to change their username a limited number of times in your account area. There are some other ways to share your real name if you wish, such as signature (appears beneath your posts and in your profile) and/or "About you" (profile only). Having said this, I agree that knowing someone's actual first name can sometimes be less awkward when meeting in person. Some username choices don't really lend themselves to be used in spoken greetings :eek:;).

For Minis in particular, putting your name (or a nickname) in the "Note" column when you put your name down to attend can be a big help for the organiser(s). I've altered the wording for this field slightly and it now suggests first name and days attending as examples.

Emails addresses
From a site/admin point of view, members already provide an email address at registration, so there is no need to provide this again for this purpose. The email address that is associated with your account is important so that things like password reset messages can be delivered to you. By default, you'll also receive emails when someone sends you a new conversation message. If you are not receiving emails for new conversations, please check whether you have this setting enabled in Messaging Preferences. You may also choose to receive emails when new content is posted to any threads or forum sections that you have watched. You can change your default watched settings in your account Preferences page (this applies to any new threads/forums that you watch).

Let me take this opportunity to request that if your email address has changed, then it would be a good idea to also update this in your contact details. Just a heads up that you'll need to reconfirm your account after making changes here. This is just to ensure that your new address is correct :).

If you do want to share email addresses with other site members, I would suggest that this be done in private. Placing this information in a public area (e.g. forum post, shared document) runs the risk of various spam bots harvesting your details in order to send you spam.

Contacting members
There are a few ways you can reach out to members within the site. The purpose of contacting would determine which method is best for you. You could send them a conversation message (by default, this also sends them an email, unless they turned this off), write on their profile ("Profile post"), or perhaps even tag them in a forum post. Profile posts and tagging in posts are visible to all members (an alert is also sent to the recipient).

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
As a cautionary tale my website has over the period of many months has had a user attempting to use David_AVD's real name as a password while attempting to log in. I mention David's name potentially in a few posts on ACL and possibly also when linking to a couple of his da-share apps and to thank him etc. David doesn't have an account using that name on my site so they are hack attempts using details that are gathered from either ACL or my site. I have also had hack attempts using a previous nick of our very own ryanschristmaslights who I have thanked on ACL a number of times. There are malicious people out there and either them or bots have harvested info from ACL. My own details aren't hard to find but there are good reasons to be cautious about having details out in the public.