Sydney/NSW Australian Sydney Mini 2011

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I would like to thank everyone that turned up today for the Sydney mini, im sure everyone walked away with something learnt from the day. I would like to thank Dave for organising the great venu once again and also for providing the great food which Matts son did an excellent job of preparing for us on the day. I also would like to thank Matt, John and David for their presentation/demonstrations we all got a lot from them. And finally i would like to thank all those that attended your participation is what helped make this day a success.

Craig, dont worry that you couldnt make it, these things happen. Ill be releasing my presentations for download after the Brisbane mini so at least you can get some of the information from the mini that way and your always welcome to pop down here for a one on one. But i reakon you would have got a lot out of day as the other guys did outstanding and there were plenty of hands on examples and displays from everyone. In fact the day was way to short and i never got the time to enjoy everyones knowledge and creations.

Christmas in the Shire

Apprentice elf
Thanks Eddie,
I was so disappointed all day. While I was looking after my wife and kids, I was periodically checking the program and wondering what you were all discussing! It was a very painful day for me!!!!
Given the situation there was not a choice. I was needed at home today and that has to be the priority. I may just take you up on the invitation to come and visit again. I was hoping to put some RGB 12V stuff together this year and I was going to use the Mini as a starting point to work out what I needed, in discussion with you all.
Glad to hear the day was a success. Can't wait for next year. My wife feels so bad about today, I bet I can milk all my disappointment for flashy blinky stuff for sure!!!!!
Cheers

Craig (Christmas in the Shire)

TimW

Full time elf
Thanks David - always interesting to put the faces to names and see some of the gear!
Sounds like a well worthwhile day.
Tim

JPB

Full time elf
A special thankyou to Lytnin (Dave K) for providing the venue and food (again) and to Matt's son for his organisational skills in the kitchen.
Thanks to Matt and Eddie and all that helped in making it a great day.

Jon

cscool36

Full time elf
Thanks for a great day.
I left with my head full of information.
Thanks to all for giving up your time and knowledge.
I can't wait until the next mini.

Thanks

Colin :D

talk2coxie

Full time elf
Yup, I agree with all posted comments. Great to meet and greet everyone and a wonderful job done by all concerned. My hobby journey is gaining speed with every meet and I encourage folks with all entry levels to attend these mini's as I'm sure everyone walks away with some info or ideas they didn't have before.

The immediate purchase to come out of the mini for me is the Network Tool Kit and Cable Tester which John showed us during his Cat5 crimping demo. I'm sure his tools were of much better quality but for how much crimping I'll be doing this thing will be just perfect. Even found the kit for $13.00 which is an absolute bargain regardless of the quality.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190554126635&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Thanks again to all who organised, presented and attended. Looking forward to the next mini....whichever ones I can get to.

Cheers, Coxie

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
talk2coxie said:
Yup, I agree with all posted comments. Great to meet and greet everyone and a wonderful job done by all concerned. My hobby journey is gaining speed with every meet and I encourage folks with all entry levels to attend these mini's as I'm sure everyone walks away with some info or ideas they didn't have before.

The immediate purchase to come out of the mini for me is the Network Tool Kit and Cable Tester which John showed us during his Cat5 crimping demo. I'm sure his tools were of much better quality but for how much crimping I'll be doing this thing will be just perfect. Even found the kit for $13.00 which is an absolute bargain regardless of the quality.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190554126635&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Thanks again to all who organised, presented and attended. Looking forward to the next mini....whichever ones I can get to.

Cheers, Coxie

Awesome Mark. Since your such a "Mini" Get-about I guess i'll be seeing you in a couple of weeks in Brisbane. We all warned you at Melbourne how quickly the imagination can get away on you with all this gear about. Glad you have a plan now.

Steve

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
I'd like to ask JPB what the song and artist was which he demo'd which had the lyrics in German and English.

talk2coxie

Full time elf
I'm pretty sure it was Manowar. That was great, the mind races at to what you could mix and play with for the show audio tracks.

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
It sure was. I now have a shortened 2 minute song in alternating German and English that is rather unique ( especially one section where there is German out one speaker and English out the other), so thanks for pointing out the song

TimW

Full time elf
lithgowlights said:
( especially one section where there is German out one speaker and English out the other)

I remember when christmas was such a simple time.... :)

CraigG

New elf
I apologise for not turning up on Sunday (family commitments). I don't want anybody to be out of pocket because we could not show. Please let me know where to send my $30.00 to and I will take care of it.
On another side - not sure if I will have the time this year to do a display - have not even started. How is everybody else going?
Cheers
CraigG

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Dont worry Craig it was all covered, we understand things can pop up. Its just a shame you couldnt have made it as i reakon you would have got a lot out of the day.
Never too late to get a display up and running, i havent even really started yet myself, with you being local to me, if at any time you need any help just ask.

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
TimW said:
I remember when christmas was such a simple time.... :)

Yeah I remember the days I used to put up 20 sets of lights and then spend time with the family. Nowdays it's designing wireframe items, repairing a few thousand lights, using visio to design the layout of the connections and logical cable runs, as well as item layouts. Add to that picking music, editing it and then converting the music into something artistic in lights, with many of us venturing into the low to mid 4 digit channel numbers.

I think I miss the old times too, so I might sing a song about it:

Silent night, heilige Nacht
All is calm, einsam wacht
Round yon Virgin Mother and Child
Holder Knabe im lockigen Haar
Sleep in heavenly peace/ Schlaf in himmlischer Ruh
Christ, the Saviour is born/ Christ, der Retter ist da!

Stille Nacht, heilige Nacht,
Son of God, love's pure light
Lieb' aus deinem göttlichen Mund
With the dawn of redeeming grace
Christ, in deiner Geburt,
Jesus, Lord, at Thy birth

oh wait, nooooooooo now I have to sequence that!