Baldrick down under

merryoncherry

Senior elf
I agree with their thinking on this. Why put 2 dumb (or one smart) receiver in the 8-port enclosure when you could just use an 8-port controller. Dumb receivers are interchangeable but you need 2 data cables for 8 ports, smart receivers may only work with some controllers and you have to work out pixel counts per stream. Same thought with 16-port smart receivers, an HE123-style BBB controller isn't that much more and is a lot more versatile.

domhodgson

New elf
One path that this thread has lead me down is daisy chaining BaldrickBoards using those mini ethernet switches, whilst it doesn't make sense at the moment for us to add them to the board, you can easily get 6 or 7 Baldricks on a single 100mb ethernet chain (and over 50! on a gigabit).

I've got some ethernet switches here to test and I'll be writing it up soon

merryoncherry

Senior elf
Agree with that, too. I use the controller bounce port about 40% of the time, more often don't need it, sometimes much handier to branch and go, say, up the drive to the selfies and over the arch to the other side to the hedge, so a single port isn't enough.

I'm not sure it makes sense to daisy chain 50 controllers... but since the little switches I use are 5-port, I don't have to. Data starts in the basement and brances out in all directions (except down), splitting here and there on the house and in the yard.

domhodgson

New elf
Agree with that, too. I use the controller bounce port about 40% of the time, more often don't need it, sometimes much handier to branch and go, say, up the drive to the selfies and over the arch to the other side to the hedge, so a single port isn't enough.

I'm not sure it makes sense to daisy chain 50 controllers... but since the little switches I use are 5-port, I don't have to. Data starts in the basement and brances out in all directions (except down), splitting here and there on the house and in the yard.
Oh daisy chaining 50 isn't a good idea.... but I still want to try it

TANSA

Sparky with Blinky Lights ;-)
Generous elf
UniFi Flex Mini.
PoE in 4 Baldrick’s out.
Problem solved, 32ports and 240Amps out.
50 that will be a huge task and display, love to see and read that one. 👍