Basic Network Question

packen

New elf
I am trying to connect my E131 controllers to my laptop for XLIGHTS. Right now I have two devices but will have four. Of course I only have one LAN port on my laptop. So, i found an old linksys eithernet hub, hooked it up, but it will only see the FPP controller. The other controller is a J1sys P12S and it cant see it at all. If I plug these into my laptop one at a time they both work great but not on the hub. I tried the P12S alone on the hub but it does not see it. Do I need to buy a switch? is that different from a hub? My network setup is,
Private show network. IP 192.168.2.1
BBB with FPP running my Matrix. IP 192.168.2.100
J1sys P12S running 12 string pixel tree and 5 LOR CTB16PC ac controllers on DMX. IP 192.168.2.103
plan on 2 more matrixs using the 101 and 102 addresses.
They work ok alone but not on the hub.
??

Derf

am now a 5v hypocrite
Can you please post the model of the switch / router you are using.

I would suggest adding a dumb switch to your main internet router and using the same IP's which will make it easier for you to do everything. Then plug your laptop to the switch / router and allowing DHCP on your laptops ethernet port.

You also will be required to set all your devices IP addresses to Static. by default most of these products including your laptop will not automatically go onto 192.168.2.XXX they will sit there waiting to be told what IP to use (DHCP).

TerryK

Retired Elf
Hubs were the precursor to switches. More or less all switches are hubs but not all hubs are switches. Hubs never had much if any 'intelligence' whereas switches over time have increased in capabilities/features. Hubs and that term have pretty much fallen by the wayside.

If you can see the devices when connected to the laptop one at a time then about the only thing left is your 'hub' or the cables. There are 2 basic ethernet twisted pair cable types; straight or crossover (within these types then are lengths, Cat5, Cat6, etc.) Currently there are also 2 basic types of switches, managed and unmanaged (dumb). For us (Christmas light enthusiasts) unmanaged switches work great but need or should be MDI-X and auto-negioate 10/100/1000. The 10/100/1000 is pretty self explanatory, MDI-X is the ability of the device to determine if the cable signals are crossed on its port or not and to logically fix them. Because of MDI-X capability being incorporated into devices crossover cables are not too common anymore but they are still in use and available.

This is a light touch of what is actually a rather in depth topic. As 'Derf" suggested, if you post the hub/switch model we can determine its capability and make better suggestions. Other than incorrect cables, bad cables or lack of capability of the device, perhaps the device itself has become defective.

packen

New elf
The hub I was trying to use is a Linksys, model #EZHUB04. i am using a separate network for my show and have my laptop shut off from my home network/internet. The eithernet on my laptop is set for a static IP at 192.168.2.1. That is my show network. All my controllers have static IPs. The BBB with the matrix is 192.168.2.100 The P12S with the mega tree and DMX is at 192.168.2.103 I am currently building two more matrixs will be using BBB controllers and IPs set at 192.168.2.101 and 192.168..2.102.
The problem is when I plug the hub into the laptop, it will actually see the BBB but not the P12S. Even plugging them into the hub one at a time and trying gets the same results, BBB works, P12S not. Both will work when plugged directly to the laptop.
So i just want to make sure i'm not overlooking something, My networking skills are not the best.
I have ordered a new unmanaged switch from amazon. I will be here in two days. I hope that is the problem.

TerryK

Retired Elf
A couple other thoughts...

I couldn't find a manual for an EZHUB04. Is there another number perhaps? Also if everything works just not through the hub you could try pinging it and/or accessing it directly by IP address. There is a thing called network discovery which could be turned off. I do not fully understand it but it deals with hiding devices on a network. I have also been told/read that some anti-viruses can get in the way although I've not had any success with that.

packen

New elf
Its a really old hub. I've got a new switch coming tomorrow. Hopefully that will work. I've got the network discovery turned on and don't have any virus protection running since this laptop rarely has access to the internet. I'll let you know if the new switch works tomorrow. Thanks for your suggestions. I really do need all the help i can get.

ezellner

Full time elf
This link has instructions for a similar generation of hubs from Linksys. https://downloads.linksys.com/downloads/userguide/ef2hubs_1.pdf
Note the comment about having the hub and/or computer off when hooking things up. It says the hub needs to be disconnected from power to reset it.
"When connecting a PC to a hub, either the computer or the hub must be powered OFF. If both the computer and the hub are turned on while the connection is completed, the network will act erratically and you must reset the hub (see page 7)."
"To reset the hub, unplug the unit for at least three seconds then plug it back in. The hub is reset."

packen

New elf
Got my new switch today and hooked everything up to it and it works like a charm. everything connected as it should. Thanks to everybody for your help. I'm sure I'll have more questions as I build my display bigger.