3.x Basic on/off and Fade Settings

djohnson1810

Apprentice elf
Hi. I am looking to get away from S3 has I convert more and more to pixels. While I don't have a lot, it is getting to be a pain to manage them with this software.

Vixen looks interesting but I can't see how to do basic functions that are the backbone of sequencing. I am talking about basic on and off as well as fade up and fade down. Fade up to 50% etc.

Am I missing this in Vixen or is it lacking these basic functions?

Thanks!

smeighan

Dedicated elf
vixen 3 has said they will not have a grid editor. you can create effects for single channel display elements,, it is a different way of getting lights to flash.

in nutcracker , we also have had effects on a model method and never have had a grid editor. we hope that changes this summer when we release a grid editor besides the model/effect paradigm.

lor has a grid editor, no model/effect apparoach (for S3). I think their S4 may introduce both methods

JPB

Full time elf
To fade up in V3, Select the Pulse effect from the effects pane on the left of the window and drag it onto the element you want to fade in the Timeline pane.
Position the start of the Pulse effect where you want the fade to start and then drag the end of the effect to the place you would like it to finish.
Then double click the Effect on the Timeline to open the Edit Effect popup. At default you will see the Effect is actually a Ramp - rising intensity. Click the Intensity Graph and then in the new pop up you can click and drag the end points to change from a Ramp to a Fade. You can also CTRL Click on the line to add a new edit point and then drag that to make it a non linear effect.
You also have buttons at the bottom of the window where you can quickly reverse the intensity or save/load custom curves.

Jon

djohnson1810

Apprentice elf
Thank you both for your reply. If I understand you correctly then both nutcracker and vixen are best used to create the fancier effects and then imported to another application (S3) for the more basic building blocks of sequencing?

It will be nice if Nutcracker comes out with a grid.

JPB

Full time elf
I use Vixen 3 for all my sequencing and then use FPP to actually run the show so that I am not tieing up my " good computer ".
Also V3 has a limited range of Nutcracker effects built in.