Basic RGB LED Light Strings

ron

Apprentice elf
Anybody purchased a "standard" or "basic" LED RGB light string? I'm thinking similar to the incandescent strings we use today, like 100 lights. Where the whole string can be controlled RGB, not necessarily each individual light, so not a pixel setup. Seems like most of the efforts have been around individual light control and I probably don't need that everywhere.

Phil, something like your yard lights, but commercially available in a string setup.

Ron

ron

Apprentice elf
Always fun, these around the world boards. Somebody always seems to be sleeping, lol.

That's not what I had in mind Rick. What I'm asking about being available is your basic string of lights, but in an RGB setup. So right now if I want clear, red, green and blue lights on a bush at my house I have to put out a string of each color incandescent, or 4 strings total. I also need a channel to control each. What I'm asking about is a single string of lights that can be controlled RGB and do the same thing. I would expect them to be an RGB LED setup, just a bunch strung together. It could be controlled by 3 channels but would allow you to do mixing to get any color.

I haven't thought about power requirements, or weather proofing or anything else, just dreaming at the moment. I just hadn't seen this discussed much, mainly individual RGB LED control like the pixels.

Am I making sense yet?

Ron

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator

ron

Apprentice elf
Thanks Eddy, that's more like what I was thinking. I think I skimmed past those at one point but didn't realize what they were.

Couple quick questions on them if you can figure out the website. Are they priced on a LED basis? So if you wanted a strand of 50 you'd order 50 in the quantity? That's what it looks like to me, but I'm new to Ray Wu's store. Also, any idea what the spacing is between LED's?

I guess I could just wait on Phil, but I hate waiting!

Ron

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
They are ordered on a LED basis and can be ordered in whatever LED count that you want, generally 50 or 100 count i think. They are on a 100mm spacing. Phil should have his tonight, so you might be able to see what his impressions are.

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Ron

Hopefully they will be waiting at home when i get there.... I have done a lot of thinking around power requirements and will do a full write up as there is a bunch of things to be considered.

Cheers
Phil

ron

Apprentice elf
Hey, I'm thinking like you are. I was starting to do the calculations and wondering about power options, load on the boards, voltage drop and such, but I figured you'd cover it.

I'm eagerly awaiting your testing and write up.

Ron

mrpackethead

Full time elf
These look like somethign that i tryed last year.. Re waterproofing, silicone did't seem to adhere to the plastic very well.. What did work ok, was liquid electrical tape.. Its pretty expensive though, and you need quite a lot..

AnotherJacko

New elf
Came across these last year and purchased a string of 20 to try them out. Looking a using them to create a 3 circuit chase in a theatrical production controlled directly from the lighting desk via a DMX decoder. They are very bright and the size is a direct replacement for a standard 25w round BC globe we have previously used. The killer is the freight costs. I believe there is a market for Basic RGB Strings that are larger than the 12mm that are around at the moment. 26mm, 30mm or 35mm would really useful.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/10pcs-Lot-RGB-LED-Pixel-Lamp-Two-years-Warranty/206373_503324346.html

zeplin

New elf
If you are going to get lights you need to make sure to get led. I have gotten them and they last super long and much brighter then your normal light.