Beginning sequencing....

Binkles

Full time elf
So you've decided on your show elements, and some super new prop. (For me this is everything).

Some new song comes out, it's the biggest song, in fact it's revolutionary, or not.

So you're sitting at your desk, you know you're using freeware at this stage, first year and you would rather spend the $250 on more lights, considering you started with none....

You're running pixels.

What do you do next?

Can anyone, or preferably all of you explain how you start on a new sequence. Considering I'll be using hls, would you play with lights, and patterns before working on the song? I haven't got deep enough if you can save mini sequences in a library to import. Or do I have to design them each time.

How do you breakdown a song into colours, props etc?

I realise everyone is different, but when you have no idea how to start the sequencing, you can download some to see how they work, but it doesn't show how they got to that sequence.

All help greatly received, I do believe that lightshow pro is likely in the future, just can't rely on having enough money to get it this year.

Binkles

Full time elf
YAGOONA LIGHTS said:
so what freeware you using? ???

The one that seems to be getting all the love at the moment is HLS.

Vixen 3 looks like it's getting a new life, but I do like how HLS has added more and more features even since I've been here.

Madko

Full time elf
I to have started with pixels for the first time and also have started using HLS.

Im not sure how far you have got within starting a sequence?

In HLS you need to first start with your audio. There is an option to have no audio. This is what i have started with. Reason why i have started with no audio is the simple fact i dont have enough pixel items to complete a full show with audio. Im slowly going to inject pixel items into my display and slowly convert it all to pixels.

So start with audio or no audio. Then you need to select your interval time resolution. Default is 50msec. Just keep it at that until you get the hang of it. Next is to start up your Raw channels. This is your database of your universes and channels. Start naming them each channel so you know excatly what output pixel is which. This should take a bit of time to fully develop. For example, im starting with 7 large arches and im only half way through, been 3 nights so far. Probably an easier way but havent learnt it yet.

Because i dont have audio to deal with it makes it easier to program when i want things to come on and off. So i started with a pixel plane which im sequencing the first arch to come on the off. Brains spins with confusion.

What really helped me was doing the tutorial that can also be downloaded from the same spot you downloaded HLS. Only hassel i had was that the tutorial seemed to be based on the first HLS before updates so things were missing and had to nut it out. Anyway over that hump and its now making a lot more sense. Watch some of the HLS videos especially the one about pixel planes as this really helped me.

Anyway hope this helped a little bit.