Best way to sequence an element

Baf05

Full time elf
In my display last year I had 9 strands of fairy lights that came from the front of the house and extended out over the front lawn to a temporary arbour.
When I saw the plasmasicles people were making I decided that they could replace my plain white on of fairy lights.
When I made them I quickly realised that the RGB strips were not going to give me the effect I was looking for. I decided to make these new Fairylights out of 12mm nodes.

Originally I cut the nodes into lengths of 3 6 and 10 lights, added a data return line and the soldiered them to the main line, just like plasmasicles. I found that this was pretty much what I was after. However with some more thought I changed the original down to make every drop 5 pixels.

Making these elements was a massive undertaking, each string is 145 pixels or 29 drops of 5 pixels if you like, each drop is 50cm long, with a 30cm space to the next drop and are approximately 5 meters long. Injecting power at both ends seems to be all that’s required power wise.

I made 5 of these with each one taking me some 8 to 10 hours to complete, although I did get faster as I got used to the process….

Then someone mentioned custom made strings from Ray, I quick few measurements and emails to Ray and for $38 a string, they come pretty much ready-made, all I have to do is cable tie to get the drops I am after.

I ordered 5 and made one up last night, these new ones will need power injected both ends and in the middle (at least) due to the much longer run of the power and earth wires. No big issue there, and adding the cable ties to form the drops only took about an hour! Such a huge time saver, and frankly probably cheaper buying straight from Ray!

So now I have (or will have) 10, 5 meter lengths of fairylights with 29 drops of 5 pixels. 145 x 10 = 1450 pixels to my fairlight element.

My question is, how do I program them in LSP. My first thought was to make each drop its own element (fairy light 1.1, 1.2, … 2.1, 2.2 …9.1, 9.2… 10.1 10.2) but this seems very laborious. (not to mention drawing every single drop). Will also mean I have 290 elements to sequence in just my fairlights alone… although will give me the greatest control.

Does anybody have any ideas on an easy way to sequence this particular element?

mborg10

Michael Borg
Yes creating them each as a separate element would be labour intensive but will give you greatest control. You can draw a line and say start at channel X and finish at channel Y and LSP will space them evenly on that line. Also once drawn you can group them all together on a layer. You could have a layer for entire iceicles. Left side right side etc. your macros are then applied to the layer and make it much more streamline.

Remember once they are in LSP you won't have to do it again and just use the same setup for all your future songs.

Baf05

Full time elf
I will have to try that drawing method, when I put the plasmaciles on I drew them all manually... your way sounds heaps easier!
The other issue with drawing is my photo is 2D and Striaght on, the fairlights extend forward, making it hard to draw a line

arw01

Full time elf
So all your lights are 5 drop, so in essence you have a long matrix correct?

Pixicles probably won't make it into my display this year, but I had planned on doing a matrix of them to sequence them when they do.

I'm experimenting with modifying a matrix now within the grid of the matrix for a 3d item.

Alan

mborg10

Michael Borg
Baf05 said:
I will have to try that drawing method, when I put the plasmaciles on I drew them all manually... your way sounds heaps easier!
The other issue with drawing is my photo is 2D and Striaght on, the fairlights extend forward, making it hard to draw a line
You can use arches and other shapes too. I drew my candy canes and divided them by 16 and worked fine.

Just remember that no matter what perspective you have taken the photo the audience member will stand somewhere else.