Big Santa. How big is big?

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
I grabbed a couple of bargains this morning with 2 8ft high painted cutouts of a penguin and a teddy. The lady I bought them off is looking at possibly disposing of her Santa and Mrs Claus. Mrs Claus has never been erected. She tells me that at 23ft high the Santa was the biggest 1 in Victoria. I can't see anything to contradict that from a quick google search. I have seen a few 10m (33ft) inflatable Santas advertised and saw 1 in person on a shop on the Gold Coast a few years back. The penguin is to the right of the pic below. Santa is sufficiently large I'm told it's possible to walk between his legs. Being made from 6 sheets of 8ft x 4ft masonite I can say what I saw of Santa and his better half got me as excited as a kid at Christmas.

Attachments

• IMG_20190115_094432.jpg
    IMG_20190115_094432.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 41

deanneat

New elf
if Santa won't cause any issues with low flying aircraft in your area - then Santa is fine :)

Reactions: AAH

Dez

Fueled by Christmas - Inspired by You!
I would be concerned if it was made from Masonite as the water and weather will destroy it. That’s is big Santa though!

Reactions: AAH

AAH

I would be concerned if it was made from Masonite as the water and weather will destroy it. That’s is big Santa though!
The lady used to make them commercially and they came with a 10 year warranty. I have a number of cutouts that I have bought over the years. The oldest are 11 years old now and some are masonite and some are painted/sealed mdf. If I could get 10 years out of these they'll see me out I reckon.

Boof63

Senior elf
just put a red light on top for low flying jumbos to avoid.
Cheers Boof63

Goliath

Full time elf
Looks good. You are experienced enough to know about wind loading. We had a very windy December in 2018, 60 km/hr and gusting to 80 km/hr on quite a few days. Reject Shop had a 3.?m inflatable Santa for $59, which seemed really good value, but I passed on it, as I reckoned it would a real issue to tie the damn thing down. The 10m ones you can buy would be a quantum leap again.

buzzdude

Full time elf
I like those as they would be far sturdier, then the blow up kind.... I purchased a 3m blow up Santa and 2.4 Penguin 3 years ago and had them as part of my display. it was a spur of the moment purchase, as I thought it would be a great addition..... They where more work then having to change out dead pixels.:( The wind wreaked havoc on the cords and kept tearing the seams where the rope line was connected to the main body. Then it would rain and the internals would fill with water. I had sand bags and bricks holding them down and extra tie downs, but the wind kept breaking them. I needed to be around when they started to inflate, each night, because if the fan was covered by the fabric, nothing inflated. Now I use them on Christmas day when the family is together, (Kids love them), then that night they go back in their respective boxes for another 364 Days. :D I'll now stick to an only "Light Display" :)

AAH

Looks good. You are experienced enough to know about wind loading. We had a very windy December in 2018, 60 km/hr and gusting to 80 km/hr on quite a few days. Reject Shop had a 3.?m inflatable Santa for $59, which seemed really good value, but I passed on it, as I reckoned it would a real issue to tie the damn thing down. The 10m ones you can buy would be a quantum leap again.
We had 2 days with severe wind last Xmas. 1 of those days there was a steady 98kmh wind for 5 minutes. It was sufficiently noisy and windy that I was looking around for the tornado funnel. I had nothing blow away but a few strings of fairy lights broke.

The below pics are of the penguin and teddy and my son to show the scale. The penguin is the little penguin on the right in the picture above.

Attachments

• Penguin, teddy and Reilly.jpg
    Penguin, teddy and Reilly.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Penguin and teddy.jpg
    Penguin and teddy.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 9