Biggest scare of the year

scamper

Dedicated elf
Being in the west here the sun doesn't go down till 7.30, but we start everything at 7pm, so the blow-ups can be set and everything checked etc.
Just as the power was turned on and the Pi started to fire up.... Everything went black.
We lost power, the whole house...
Talk about panic, this is going to be the busiest night of the year, all the lollies are made, the elves are dressed up and nothing...
Luckily it came back on within seconds, but let me tell you, it seemed like hours.
Luckier still, no corruption of the Pi or sequence's.
On with the show :)

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
We had a brown out here the other night too. Very brief but just long enough so that the computer restarted. By the time it got going again everyone was gone. Very impatient lot around here.

On another note, I'd be happy if it got dark by 7.30. It's 8:15 before its dark here. You start so late it seems like the lights are only on for 15 minutes.

MarcD

Full time elf
BundyRoy said:
We had a brown out here the other night too. Very brief but just long enough so that the computer restarted. By the time it got going again everyone was gone. Very impatient lot around here.

On another note, I'd be happy if it got dark by 7.30. It's 8:15 before its dark here. You start so late it seems like the lights are only on for 15 minutes.

You should move to Queensland. It's dark enough here at 7pm to turn on the lights. :D

the grinch

I guess I could use a little social interaction
Happened here last year I know the feeling immediate panic mode happened whilst raining lightly but had been raining heavier during the day .Although we thought everything was well waterproofed water snuck in to a power board and tripped the whole house took about 10 to 15 mins to isolate and rectify. The thing that was most disappointing we had a big crowd at time and they where very impatient and a little rude and dissappeared instantly. One comment I overheard whilst trying to fix was (everyone has told me this is great display and said its crap ) was other comments made but have forgotten am sure teresa would remember other comments

EmmienLightFan

One of few displays in the UK
Why don't you get a small UPS for your show PC and Pis? At least then you won't have data corruption problems as the UPS will power the PC for a while, and when it gets low will shut down the computer in a controlled way. I don't know if it could shut down a Pi, but maybe it is possible.

scamper

Dedicated elf
EmmienLightFan said:
Why don't you get a small UPS for your show PC and Pis? At least then you won't have data corruption problems as the UPS will power the PC for a while, and when it gets low will shut down the computer in a controlled way. I don't know if it could shut down a Pi, but maybe it is possible.

With the power and the way I have spread the load across the house, I don't believe a UPS will help anything other than the Pi. And I now have a second Pi, so I will just have a backup just in case. Pi = $45, UPS = ?$100,s