Boydaw Rd Lights - First Year Show

brando

Full time elf
I've been meaning to do a "behind the scenes" video of my first year show, but between traveling lots for work, and yesterday testing positive for the spicy cough for the second time, I haven’t gotten around to it. So this is part placeholder, part run down of what I have.

House layout copy.jpeg
314637697_170018185708605_8110291488419359996_n.jpg

We have quite a big house, but it is long with small frontage, so display options are relatively limited.

That being said we've managed just shy of 14,000 pixels this year, not including the 2x2 P5 Tune to sign, so ~22,000 all up.

Show is running with one master FPP - a BBB and FM transmitter in the garage, and 4 remotes - 3 x BBB's to He123Mk2's and a BBB to Kulp K8B Scroller (thanks Jarad Hall).

My two mega trees (one is 4.5m 24x150 1" spacing, other is 2m 22x90 1" spacing), my matrix (36x36 2” spacing), and the Merry Christmas sign are all power injected. The Merry Christmas sign out of convenience more than necessity. It’s on a temp fencing panel with wheels so it’s easy to open & close for garage access. It’s PI box is mounted on the fence panel, so only 3 cables run to it, one the mains power, and two ports - one would obviously be fine too.

Next years I'll rebuild all of my boxes and do away with the PI, solely for the reason of tonight, the smaller mega tree which is running at 2 strings, lost a pixel very early, so I lost half a tree.

One controller has He123 RJ 16 channel breakouts which run to 2 He123 EX breakout boards for the Rosa Grande which is running off 7 ports.

Roof outlines are 25mm electrical conduit (the grey stuff) which is drilled out with 12mm forstner bits and the back with 16mm for the the access.

Arches are 60px/m strip in seeder hose and feet are 3D printed, adapted from SFL Designs dual arch base.

Mega trees are both in portable holes with 40NB medium duty galv steel pipe, with a guy wire ring, toppers are a large and small topper from Light It Up with spigots, bullet pixles on tree strips to trampoline bases. On top of the holes I have additional weight in bags of concrete.

Rosa Grande has the 3D printed mounts that I have Brasshards 15mm pipe from Bunnings that frames into a brace onto the roof - chained down, as well as maybe a dozen sandbags. This is probably my biggest concern and looking for an idea to mount sit this on the roof better. As it's exposed it cops some decent wind. No issue yet and has dealt with some decent winds, but it still causes me anxiety, especially when I travel for work.

Ted outside the front door I have a voiceover guy who does a great Seth Macfarlane's Ted impersonation, for some snippets here and there.

I have added a Beamz Snow 1800 in the last couple of weeks. Winds have meant on opening weekend it hasn't be overly great.

Some of the sequences we've used below. I haven't done any of my own sequencing, not through lack of trying, just not a creatively minded like that.

Props have been bought from both Troy & Sam. Everything is 5V, pixels are all ETOP. I've already had maybe a dozen dead pixels, have only recently started keeping them. All up I have 10 MW's.

I've already started my planning for next year, as my 3 He123's already have the FPP licence, I'll got 144 outputs at my disposal once I add breakouts. That'll be job number one for next year before rebuilding each of my boxes.

All in all, I think I've done alright for my first year show. I got the notification this morning that it was my 12 months anniversary of joining the forums, so 12 months ago I barely knew what a pixel was, before leading to the discussion with my wife "hey let's do roof outlines", and then here we are.

I tend to learn best by just diving in and learning on the go, but would love some feedback based on what I've got here. I probably won't get around to a BTS video this week.

Boydaw Rd Lights on Facebook

Last edited:

Wayne1

Apprentice elf
I've already started my planning for next year,
I was doing the same last night, I gave my lights a test run and started the OK so what the plan for next year thoughts.

Your display looks great.

brando

Full time elf
BTS video. I had intended on re-doing the audio because it was blowing it's balls off, but I think it's audible. Terrible video, I don't really like doing that sort of stuff and do all my talking for work, so outside of that I'm not a big talker.

A couple takeaways for me from my first year

Power Injection
I honestly can't get my head around why people are scared of it or find it difficult to do. That being said, while it makes some things easier logistically, I'm not a fan. Main reason being as stated in the video, having a 22*90 tree running off two ports may be attractive to some degree, that that then cause half of my tree to not play the game at one point, is all the reason I need to go away from it.

I am lucky in the fact I have 3 Hanson controllers that I got FPP licences for, so with maxed out RJ expansions, I have 144 outputs available to me. So my trees will not be power injected next year. I'll decide the logistics of how I'll do it later on, but I have options.

I learn the best on the go by doing things, working out if they didn't work, and fixing it. The down side to that is I went through a number of different setups for this years display, and that meant my controller box builds are a bit ugly because I ended up chopping and changing.

The benefit to that is that I've had a pretty clear picture with what I want to do next year, since about August.

Seeing some other BTS videos, my builds don't have a lot of components that others do, however I have had relatively few issues. I have had some pixel failures, but nothing that I'd regard as extreme and definitely not at the levels others have suffered.

12v vs 5v
Everything I have is 5v. I have a small 12v PSU for my FM transmitter only. Everything else is 5v. It's worked for me, so I have no reason to change.

Tree strips
I didn't show my bases, but they are both small trampoline bases, with J hooks to hold the strip. They look super loose in the video, but as I said above, it's blowing it's balls off. Showtime they sit well enough and my only issue with the shape is I'd rather it wide at the base. I have 3D printed tree strip stabilisers with 3mm stainless wire rope through both trees, both are 1" spacing.

Roof mounting
As I mention in the video, and I tagged on another video with a closer look, the way I've got the RG mounted on the roof causes me anxiety. It's performed and not budged despite copping some pretty decent winds since it's been up there since before Halloween, but I would rather come up with something I have more confidence in. Don't know why I don't have confidence in it because I've tried to push it over to no avail.

Happy to hear feedback, as I said, it's worked for me over a decent amount of time, so most of my setup I don't feel a need to make changes. I'll rebuild the controller boxes for next year to add in expansions and tidy them up as well as adding more DMX.