Build Your Own Sleigh

MarcD

Full time elf
the grinch said:
Yes I had a peek love how it flat packs. Here is some questions im sure have answered many times and I may of read previous how long does it take to assemble and disassemble .also looks huge how long height and width is it.once again great job and thankyou for sharing

It takes about half to one hour to assemble. Requires two people to assemble. We've taken to assembling it in the garage and then four people to carry it out into position.

It's a US pattern so it's eight foot long and four feet wide because...America. Fully assembled, it stands about 1.6 metres high (I've never actually measured it).

MarcD

Full time elf
AAH said:
Wow.
There's a fair bit of work gone into that panel Marc.
Do the switches just light up the LED's/lights immediately adjacent to them?
How did you do the map/panel graphics?
For safety I'd recommend having fusing right at the power supply as you can never tell what rugrats will do to any accessible wires. Also on safety I'd consider putting the power supply inside some sort of IP rated enclosure. The light and warmth can attract critters who can get into the power supply and ruin your/their day. The final safety thing is I'd consider running an earth wire up to the aluminium control panel. The last thing you want is the possibility of giving rugrats a tingle if there is a problem with your power supply like a critter shorted between the mains input and 1 of the 5V lines.

Yes, the switches turn on the LED's
I designed the layout for the dashboard myself. I used free images for the reindeer and world map. The rest is me.
You're right about running an earth. Everything above the floor is 12 volt and the power supply is plugged into a powerboard fitted with an RCD.
I left the power supply open so it didn't overheat. The front, sides and back are enclosed for stability and to prevent kids getting underneath.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
What I actually meant about the panel graphics was how are they actually applied. I should imagine that they are waterproof as it will be out in the weather.

MarcD

Full time elf
AAH said:
What I actually meant about the panel graphics was how are they actually applied. I should imagine that they are waterproof as it will be out in the weather.

I had the sticker professionally printed. It was a contra deal. He even gave me a spare. I have no idea what it's printed on but it's slightly textured. The dashboard comes in each night and I always bring it in when it rains (or looks like it might). It hasn't peeled or faded in four years.

MarcD

Full time elf
lizardking(adam) said:
thanks for the photos i have much to do now

First tip, start in Feb or March, not August like I did. Good luck and feel free to ask questions along the way.

Bill Ellick

Full time elf
My Thanks as well for sharing with us. Certainly a project to be very proud of as well as it draws your attention!

Fing

Full time elf
Generous elf

MarcD

Full time elf
It's actually this pattern:

https://www.thewinfieldcollection.com/product/5310/Reindeer-Sleigh-Woodcraft-Patterns

We also increased the depth of the curve at the sides to make it easier to get in and out. From the bottom of the curve to the base of the body is 370mm. We bought some of the carbon paper sheets with the pattern to make it easier to transfer to the ply.

The steps are from our spa (they can be bought separately). We added an extra step.

andrewa

Full time elf
A Word of Warning on the Timber Used.

I built the standard size sleigh this year, and the timber used was not up to an acceptable standard.
I purchased Marine grade Ply from bunnings and It has not lasted the month. it has started to de-Laminate. So if i was you, I would avoid the Indonesian supplied/Manufactured Marine Grade Ply from Bunnings. (Note I fully primed/sealed before painting and sealed after painting)

the board in question was identified by a green sustainability stamp only. I will only get the Australian one from now on even if it means shopping elsewhere

PS Bunnings has agreed to supply all materials required for me to remake the sleigh

Andrew

bjpc2716

who dares win
the marnie ply i would use from a local boat builder in williamstwon and bend a ply from other source from qld

MarcD

Full time elf
Make sure you buy the 2440 x 1220 sheets because the plans use imperial measuremnets. 2400 x 1200 sheets will leave you a bit short.