building a diy little controller for 2x 220v christmas led strings

mmikee02

New elf
Hello,
I'm new on you forum, and I need your help please.

I have buy 2 pieces of 220v led strings, which came with a little 8 effect box each.
This effect box is really "bullHoHoHo", so, I removed it, and placed a 8A rectifier bridge in place of this (collected from old pc powers supplies... I know that 8A is a little "too much";), but, as we say here who/what can do the most, can do the least...:D)
Now, I have 2 beautiful strings "steady-on".
I want now to make a little diy effect box, which just alternate these 2 strings with dimming function.
  1. When powering on , the first string dim up slowly to his max, the second string is off.
  2. When 1st string is fully on, wait 1 or 2 seconds, and begin to dimm to off while the second string begin to dim up to his max.
  3. When 2nd string is fully on, wait 1 or 2 seconds, and begin to dimm to off while the first string begin to dim up to his max.
  4. repeat again & again... :p
Can anyone help me to do a schematic for such controller? My electronic knowledge's are too basics to make it alone myself.

Edit : the max current into the led string is 23/23mA (measured with a Fluke multimeter)

Last edited:

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
For the time and effort involved in doing that you're probably better off ignoring those lights and changing to some low voltage ones. Low voltage DC lights are a lot easier to control and you could run them with an arduino and a mosfet. AC lights are much harder to control and 220V lights require that things be much safer. If you really wanted to you could use and arduino and an optotriac for a minimum parts dimmer.

mmikee02

New elf
If you really wanted to you could use and arduino and an optotriac for a minimum parts dimmer.
Hello,
thank you for your interest on my project. :)
These leds strings are new, so I don't really want to change it. I will look to an arduino or attiny solution as you suggested...
Thank you for the idea.