Bunnings Arlec Battery Powered Star Makeover :)

marmalade

cats & pixels
Got these for topping my spiral trees for $10, Blinky flashy Red/Blue.. a simple conversion to pixels!

10mm strip fits perfectly, I used the cheap 2811 30led/m (10 pixel/m) version, its now easy to control the topper by tacking it onto the end of the spiral strip. No reason it couldn't be filled with 2812's to be really nice.

Star is not in its final position, but you get the idea :)

Attachments

• star1.jpg
    star1.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 99
  • star2.jpg
    star2.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 108
  • star3.jpg
    star3.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 113
  • star5.jpg
    star5.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 130

Wolfie

Full time elf
That's purdy! Wonder if those are available stateside.

Just a suggestion, if you start the loop at the bottom crotch, you can loop around the outside, then continue up into the center for a small second loop round there.

marmalade

cats & pixels
thanks wolfie! The standard 3 led per IC strip wouldn't quite fit in the centre section, but the ws2812's certainly would! Probably will fix for next year.

It's made in china so might be on ali-x... pic of the box if that might help.

Attachments

• starbox.jpg
    starbox.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 47

Homer2014

Apprentice elf
G'day

I bought the tree one of those, was going to bin it after trying to put nodes in it. Seeing your post I tried some 2812b strip and should work nicely.

Thanks for the post

Wolfie

Full time elf

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Wolfie, those are exactly the ones, from Bunnings (local hardware chain) for $10AUD.

Wolfie

Full time elf
Yea they are the right ones. Problem is there is no way to get it here in the states.

There is no buy button on their website.

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
Wolfie said:
Problem is there is no way to get it here in the states.

Welcome to our world :D
So many things we see available in the states we can't get here in Aus.

Perhaps some kind soul could buy a few for you and ship them to you?

marmalade

cats & pixels
I thought exactly that! Shipping is a bit prohibitive by OzPost, unless there are other options?

cdjazman

Full time elf
Australia Post can do shipments via EMS.

We use click and go for Australia Post.

I could arrange the box and you could pay by credit card or PayPal.

Or transfer the funds to my PayPal and then I could organise for you.

Let me know if that suits and how many you were after. And I will try to work out the rate.

We sent EMS from Australia to Hungary and only took 4 days.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Wolfie

Full time elf
I might be thinking 10 or so. I guess it depends on the size they are. I looked over the site and they have little info there. The only size is the length of the lead wire, which will be remove about 10seconds into the build. No diameter or thickness. I have a few ideas on what to do with them but I kinda need the size.

Oh, and I found the fact they list the battery box as IP20 rather humorous. Like thats supposed to be an important feature or something They say nothing useful about anything else but they have a bullet point touting the ability of the battery box to stop something the size of a finger and not much else ;)

cdjazman

Full time elf
Wolfie said:
I might be thinking 10 or so. I guess it depends on the size they are. I looked over the site and they have little info there. The only size is the length of the lead wire, which will be remove about 10seconds into the build. No diameter or thickness. I have a few ideas on what to do with them but I kinda need the size.

Oh, and I found the fact they list the battery box as IP20 rather humorous. Like thats supposed to be an important feature or something They say nothing useful about anything else but they have a bullet point touting the ability of the battery box to stop something the size of a finger and not much else ;)

OK so I went and got 5 for my mini trees this morning.

Packaging is as follows.

Each unit is 0.35 kg.

Measures 30cm x 30cm x 2cm.

I will need location to send to to get a quote for postage for you.

cdjazman

Full time elf
Wolfie said:

Looking further into this you would be looking at around $80 AUD for 10 pieces to send to Milwaukee, WI (as per profile)

marmalade

cats & pixels
CD if you do the conversion and add leds to the centre section, could you post a pic or vid?

would be great to see if it's worth it (pretty sure it would be!)