Bunnings Arlec Battery Powered Star Makeover :)

Wolfie

Full time elf
cdjazman said:
Wolfie said:
I might be thinking 10 or so. I guess it depends on the size they are. I looked over the site and they have little info there. The only size is the length of the lead wire, which will be remove about 10seconds into the build. No diameter or thickness. I have a few ideas on what to do with them but I kinda need the size.

Oh, and I found the fact they list the battery box as IP20 rather humorous. Like thats supposed to be an important feature or something They say nothing useful about anything else but they have a bullet point touting the ability of the battery box to stop something the size of a finger and not much else ;)

Looking further into this you would be looking at around $80 AUD for 10 pieces to send to Milwaukee, WI (as per profile)
80 just for postage? Think I will hold off on that for now. I was thinking of hanging them in a tree beside the driveway or hanging them from the eves.

For 80, I can get around 3 1kg rolls of filament and print a heck of a lot of stars. Woof. That's 3kg or about 6.6lbs of stars for the cost of shipping just 10.

I think the photos in the op are pretty good to trace. After halloween, I think I will draft up a printable one and size it to take 30/10 strips. Will try to put node cuts in the corners so the bends are at the splice points.

Wolfie

Full time elf
mitlrpro said:
To save you some trouble, here is a 3D printed star I stumbled upon a little while ago.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:573548
Vega - The 3D-printed LED-lit Christmas Star - YouTube
Thank you, I have seen it. Its more monkeying around than I desire. I like the shape of the OP's star including the nice little holes it has. Something to think about though. Will have to decide after halloween. Too busy with that to deal with Christmas stuff. Yet.

i13 said:
Wolfie said:
80 just for postage?
Note that it is 80 Australian dollars.
Right, conversion makes it about $60 usd.

cdjazman

Full time elf
Going to order pixel string to try in these as now my wife has decided that they are going inside next year......

will see if my local has any of these left... :)

was going to pick up some of the red stars, but they say indoor only and would probably be quite brittle in no time.

marmalade

cats & pixels
looks awesome! Wishing I got a few more of those last year, after chrissy they were on sale for $5!

cdjazman

Full time elf
Was in Bunnings today and they have the stars back this year along with some trees.
830201711628.jpg 830201711642.jpg

marmalade

cats & pixels
was looking at the tree last night as well, are you going to do a makeover on those? Really like the big reindeer they have this year.

notthemama

New elf
How many seasons would these last in UV

The length of strip used per star including center please.

Just answered my own question. Sheltered outdoor use. ie. not uv stabilized

Last edited:

marmalade

cats & pixels
I'd say they might deteriorate a bit if you left them outside for an entire year!

If you are cringing at the cost of a $10 prop that will probably last 10 years, you've definitely chosen the wrong hobby :)

cdjazman

Full time elf
How many seasons would these last in UV

The length of strip used per star including center please.

Just answered my own question. Sheltered outdoor use. ie. not uv stabilized

I used a 1mtr length . I ordered with pigtails attached from Ray @ $2.80 USD each.