Buy a FM Transmitter in Aus?

mossie

New elf
I purchased an FM transmitter about 8 weeks ago and just got a note from the seller that it has been returned to them and that it could be another 4-6 weeks for it to arrive if they were to resend :-\

My lights are all setup and ready to go but I have no way of transmitting the music. Does anyone know of anywhere I can purchase a transmitter in Aus or is just hooking up some outdoor speakers my only option?

Any help would be really appreciated.

Matt

Kitman

Full time elf
You could do 2 things. Hook up some external speakers (Which is what I have done this year, save the FM transmission for next year) without which anyone walking past won't hear the music anyway, or purchase a cheap FM radio transmitter you know the ones that you plug into a car cigarette lighter to transmit over the FM radio in your car and hack it up so that it will do the job for this year since you don't want to spend lot of money again on another FM transmitter which you might not need.

That's what I would do, others may have other ideas.

mossie

New elf
Thanks Kitman - I have hooked up some speakers - works well, just nervous about annoying my neighbours and keeping the kids awake.

Kitman

Full time elf
I am lucky, I put my speakers right at the front of my yard, they are bolted to some 3 foot star droppers hammered into the ground around 2 feet deep, and that is about 6 or 7 meters from the front of my house so I can't hear it inside and the neighbours are further away so I know they can't hear it, but people on the street can hear it so that's what matters.

I am hoping that the speakers don't get stolen or tampered with, but if they do I don't really care too much as they are about 15 years old and cost me nothing so you know.

Glad you have some way for people to hear the music and if you are concerned about it waking up kids maybe turn it down as it gets later and finish the show early rather than let it run all night.

Personally I have had complaints that my music is too quiet hahaha and this is from the neighbours so you might not have an issue after all.

Boof63

Senior elf
Have the same Fm transmitter, works fine, it does have two settings for a low power output and a high power ouput.
Low power runs out at the end of our street 500-700metres, High power (have tested about 2km is farthest).
Just pick a non local channel and away you go. Can dial up the channel you need)
cheers Boof63

videoman3857

Full time elf
Probably too late but I got one of these cheapies of an Australian eBay seller. Works very well.[/size]http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/351429927381?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I just had a look at that.
From what I understand, that unit is illegal to use in Oz as it exceeds the power out put permitted.
I guess if you are in a non built up area, or you don't cause RF interference it's not too much of a problem.
What I do like; is the mike input jack. That would be so handy for my shows. :p

scamper

Dedicated elf

I just had a look at that.
From what I understand, that unit is illegal to use in Oz as it exceeds the power out put permitted.
I guess if you are in a non built up area, or you don't cause RF interference it's not too much of a problem.
What I do like; is the mike input jack. That would be so handy for my shows. :p

I wouldn't worry too much about legalities of transmitters, as long as you are not interfering with any other signal and it is fairly low and don't cause any grief in general, I think the broadcast authority won't care.
It is much like CB radio years ago, you needed a licence to have one, but no one ever did and unless you were a problem, no one really cared.
If you were worried about the transmitter, then you should also start to worry about the music license and then there is council by laws about structures in your yard and the list would go on!
After all i believe the power allowed is in the micro watt range, which may be able to transmit from one side of your room to the other and that is it!

ryanschristmaslights

Senior elf
Administrator
scamper said:
I wouldn't worry too much about legalities of transmitters, as long as you are not interfering with any other signal and it is fairly low and don't cause any grief in general [...] After all i believe the power allowed is in the micro watt range, which may be able to transmit from one side of your room to the other and that is it!

Yeah the unlicenced limit is 10 microwatts. Any more than that then legally speaking you'll need an ACMA licence. If you stuck a transmitter in your letterbox you might just reach a car with that kind of power.

The above advice is good to follow, as long as you know about the legal limits. However I personally think anything over 100mW (or 500mW tops) is too high for the purpose many of us use FM transmitters for - and that is to enable people to listen to the music that those 'random flashing lights' in your front yard are actually synchronised to. So with that in mind there really is no need to broadcast further than people can physcially see your light display - in my opinion anyway :). But 7 Watts is way too much and you're just asking for trouble (more so if you live in the city). Broadcasting with a transmitter that powerful also may potentially make it harder for other decorators to find a suitable empty spot in the FM band depending on how close they are.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
There has been virtually no one that has had a visit from the authorities regarding using a transmitter for Christmas lights, there has been a couple of rare cases over the years but that's mainly because either they have done the wrong thing or a neighbour wanted to complain and knew the laws (most have no idea). Only transmit during show times when they normally are not working, don't advertise on it, use a clear channel and don't use a transmitter that will transmit for mile around and you will have no issues