Buying OS - A cautionary tale

toodle_pipsky

Minister of Silly Walks
First off, this is me just venting, because it's probably no one's fault but mine. However I thought I would mention it just in case it helps someone save a few bucks.
Late September I placed an order with Ray, $900 odd, on purpose to avoid duties plus I wasn't totally sure about how much more I needed (power supplies, plugs, etc). About a month later I did need to place a final order, so another $200 with Ray but still no sign of my original order. Once the second order was ready Ray kindly informed me that he'd ship everything out together. No problem, I thought well I've paid 2 lots of shipping, if anything the bigger parcel probably cost more to ship than 2 small ones, maybe not, didn't matter my lights were coming. However once the parcel hit our shores there was issue with the cost of the items, so I had to provide proof of purchase. I explained that they were 2 separate orders placed a month apart but for what ever delay happened they were coming together. Well the gov still thought that was worthy of GST and import duties. Over $200 later and I'm getting my parcel.
So what's to learn from this? 1 Don't wait until late in the year to order and 2 if you have 2 seperate orders insist that they are packaged separately because putting them together will incur further (unfair) charges even for something as dopey as Christmas lights for your own personal use.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
This is correct and is what happens if you get seperate orders from the same vendor at the same time regardless if they were bought at different times it can even happen if you have 2 orders coming from the same vendor a couple of days apart.
The best practice is to not reorder until your goods are at your doorstep, that way theres enough gap between to not have any issues.
Sorry to hear about your costly lesson.

camduncan

New elf
A little off topic, but I can definately relate on another level...... I'm a member of a US Whiskey Society who collect/appreciate bourbons, rye and canadian whiskeys. I just ordered two 750ml bottles of bourbon at US $70 each. The cheapest shipping I can get is $110, and Aussie Customs will likely sting me with another $40 or $50 per bottle in GST and Alcohol taxes!! So a US $70 bottle is going to cost up to $175 each.... ouch!
And, to outline the amount of tax we do pay in Australia... A 700ml bottle of Jim Beam in Australia costs (on average) $30. A 750ml bottle of Jim Beam in the US costs as little as $10. The difference is shipping (about $5 per bottle) and $15 taxes.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Make sure that you let Ray know that you got taxed toodle. He looks after us heaps and as a result of his shipping two at once and you then getting stung he may look after you better next time.

toodle_pipsky

Minister of Silly Walks
It's alright - it definitely isn't Ray's fault that's for sure, he's already pretty good with service/prices. I think it's just a good lesson in "technicalities". With this being a potentially expensive hobby, it's always good to keep an eye out for these hidden costs. :)