cable identifiers

strobe dave

New elf
hi there,
can anyone reccomend some cable identifiers for when everything gets taken down after the shows, i mean i want to identify which cable goes into what channel on my decoders, and to what led cable they go to, just trying to make it more simple for connecting next year. i am sure there may be somthing on this in the forum but i have not been able to find anything.

ryanschristmaslights

Senior elf
Administrator
I use a combination of an excel spreadsheet and dymo label maker to give things a unique ID. something useful like 21LEDgr for item 21, its led and green. Then I put an entry in the spreadsheed with details about it such as wattage, intended location, etc.

Be good to hear what other people do to make finding that 'lost light set' easier :)

Bird

LOR user
I go high tech.
Duct tape folded over controller end of wire and fine tip magic marker to write which light unit it hooks to.
Then I roll all the cords onto wire spools.

strobe dave

New elf
Nice one cheers.
just managed to order some of the cable ties with markers

toodle_pipsky

Minister of Silly Walks
Another one with folder over tape and marker. However I really like those zip ties, they might be a little bit more durable than tape!
This year I also went to the effort of making an inventory of all my stuff using an iPad app called iStorage, has actually made tracking stuff really easy. Highly recommend going to the effort of using a database or even just a spreadsheet (as some have indicated already) to track everything.

Goldie

New elf
I use the Ray Wu's 4 pin pig tail joiners, write the channel no on the connectio and the light no on the other end in texta, tranpose all that onto a spreadsheet, works really well, I found the dymo labels fell off when I unravellec them this year

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
In agree Goldie. dymo labels here have peeled off or faded to much. i've gone with permanent marker on rays pigtails and a excel spreadsheet. I do like the look of the labeled cable ties and will hunt some of them down as well

Mike

CLAP infected!
Combination of Dymo label maker, Permanent marker and spreadsheet.
Oh also I use the method of, where the F*#K does this go again. Oh right not there

Seems to work