penguineer

Full time elf
This is a bit of a noobie one......

This is the cabling for my six minitrees(based on BigW strings):

christmas-lights-minitree-cables-800.jpg

Messy.

So I've attached key tags to both ends to tell me where to put them:
christmas-lights-cable-label-800.jpg

The paper insets can be removed and replaced if the cable gets reused for something else.

Since all of my minitrees are in one area of the yard and are connected to the same controller, I just spool the cables together - I'm not worried about mixing them up now!
christmas-lights-cable-spool-800.jpg

I also store several sets of lights(eg megatree) on spools - they are all going to the same place, oriented the same way, and I don't need to worry about sorting them out - the plug on the lights has a label too!

Cheers!

burner

Full time elf
Nice way to do it.

This year I've used the Dymo to put labels at both ends of my cabling. I've also used different coloured tape on each line coming from my J1SYS-P12R for easy setup. I'll see how long the labels last, and may have to go the keytag idea if they fall off.

I have a drawing of the pixel lights and their route paths aswell as direction (for around the windows) and have the channel and pixel count on each string (I call it my Bible)

DougieB

Full time elf
The thing about the dymo tape, make sure you use the plastic or metallic tape. The paper based stuff fades real quick out in the sun

Slite

Full time elf
Great idea with the key tags... never occured to me to use those.

Cheap as well since you can get like 400 for 30 us$ at AliExpress

DeeJai

Is that Magic Smoke?!?
yeah i am using the label maker strip for my stuff atm (mainly within the controller enclosure, but, i do like that idea. sooooo simple yet effective. and with multiple colours available, soo many options for its set up.

nice share

matt_65

New elf
Probably not something the normal person has around there home, we have a Brady Bmp21 labeller at work.

Apart from it being an awesome labeller, the labels themselves are heat, water, UV and I believe (some) chemical resistant.

I printed my name for my coffee mug, ay dishwasher loads (and coffees) later and it is like I just printed it.

I love the key tag idea.

What is the cable connector, did that come with the lights?

Matt

penguineer

Full time elf
matt_65 said:
Probably not something the normal person has around there home, we have a Brady Bmp21 labeller at work.

Apart from it being an awesome labeller, the labels themselves are heat, water, UV and I believe (some) chemical resistant.

I've got a Brother p-touch labeller that I use for the interior labels or things in protected places - controller name/number, voltages, warnings and some of the cabling inside the controller boxes. Sorta got a bit pedantic about labelling things correctly working as a sysadmin(particularly when I may need someone else to be the hands on site...).

Haven't had the key tags out in the weather yet, but I reckon they should be OK.

I printed my name for my coffee mug, ay dishwasher loads (and coffees) later and it is like I just printed it.

I love the key tag idea.

What is the cable connector, did that come with the lights?

Matt

The connectors and cables are the ones that come with the BigW lights - there is a plug at one end that goes into the power supply and feeds the 8-way controller, at the "light end" is the plug shown that connects to the lights.

After the lights have been "converted" for DC the other(power) end is just bare wires - not sure there are any in the photos).

Cheers!

penguineer

Full time elf
For what it's worth, these tags were bought online from Skout Office Supplies - I got 3 bags of 50 tags, when they arrived they had a "bonus" 10 tags in each bag.

After sorting out the colours I had enough of most but ran very close on others - thebags are randomly packed....

Cheers!

ShellNZ

Senior elf
I also use a dymo, the plastic tape. A few have come off but they came off before even taking them outside.

The rest seem to be holding on well. After purchasing I saw the Brady brand, if Im in this hobby for the long haul I might get one of those next time :)