Can a kulp controller run WLED

Srmorgan

Full time elf
Thanks for reading. I’ve got 4 nodemcu’s running my permanent lights. It was my first attempt at using pixels and loved doing it. But want to upgrade to something better. I would like to buy a kulp K8 controller to run them then that would give me room to expand my Christmas show. But during the year I would rather use WLED to run the lights. Is it possible to install it on a microsd card then just change it out with the fpp card before the snow flies.

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
That's correct. The Kulps don't offer anything feature wise over any other FPP based controller as all the work is done in software. The only differences are the types and numbers of physical ports available.

Srmorgan

Full time elf
I know I can do certain effects through fpp using the test feature it just seems like there is more built into WLED. I can also just build the affect using xlights and put them onto fpp. But my family knows how to use WLED and I don’t really want them touching FPP. I mess it up enough on my own. I’ve been using the nodemcu’s the past three years. I just don’t like how I have to hook them up and they don’t work well with Wi-Fi. To much interference. I could probably just add an antenna but I personally prefer to use wires vrs. Wi-Fi.

CargoLights

Apprentice elf
Generous elf
So, what I think hasn't been made clear is that there is an FPP add-on for WLED Effects that adds a UI page to start and stop built-in WLED effects. This would allow you to make any FPP (including Kulp) controller look similar to WLED to anyone using the web interface. That may work.

Otherwise, there are a variety of controllers designed to run WLED and also accept data from xLights or FPP. The QuinLED Dig boards were mentioned. I have one of these that I won in a raffle, but I've never used it. It's designed to be hard-wired so it can run more lights than a basic WLED controller over wifi. Something like that would allow you to keep both WLED and also add a Kulp controller for expansion.

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Any esp32 with ethernet will run wled fine. I have a pair which are PoE so the controller can be powered up all the time and then control the power supply for the pixels.
You can then grab some null pixels, buffer chips or famps as level shifters skills you have a long run to the first prop.

Srmorgan

Full time elf
Thanks for the help. I did figure out how to run the effects through fpp. Looks like wled effects are built right into it through overlay models. Way to go fpp team.