Can Curtains lights be made into Waterfall lights?

StevenAndrews

New elf
Hi

I bought 4 of these and interconnected.

• 2m wide x 2.4m drop
  • 16 modes with memory hold
  • 300 LEDs
  • Connectable up to 5 sets
  • Safe low voltage

Create a magical atmosphere with these attractive LED retro curtain lights. Perfect for decorating your windows, walls, garden, pergolas and hallways, these curtain lights are connectable up to 5 sets. 16 different modes also will bring that special occasion to life.

Details of the transformer and the flashing modes are below. I was disappointed (probably ignorant) to realise that out of 16 modes, none of them has that effect where the leds light up all on the bottom globe at the bottom of the vertical strings and then rise up like a wave and then do it in reverse.

IMG_5589.jpg
IMG_5587.jpgLytworx Retro Curtain Lights Blue Dec 2020 bought.JPG

Could they be a set with a aftermarket controller to do that?

or I should have bought "waterfall lights"

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
The available modes are based on how the LEDs are wired. To get the waterfall effect a lot more wiring in the vertical runs is required. Using that LED set with a different controller won't help.

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
I bought 4 of these and interconnected.

View attachment 16003
How many wires are coming off the transformer in this one?
I'm suspecting it might be similar to the image I've posted below this.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"waterfall lights"
Someone came in the live chat with this one and asked how it could be controlled with an aftermarket controller.
They said it had 3 wires coming off the controller to switch 4 sections.
My thoughts is this uses an 'dual' H-bridge.
ezgif.com-gif-maker (1).gif

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I do not know of any controller that can handle this type of 'dual' H-bridge.
Might be @AAH 's next project to create a board.

Reactions: AAH

StevenAndrews

New elf
thanks Ill have to find out.

Can I ask as a side question, most store bought LED waterfall lights seem to max out around 4.5m wide by 3m long like these

yet none of the store lights are every able to be combined, unlike many other store bought lights like string lights or curtain lights.

no doubt there is a electrical reason for this? not enough power to connect more?

Has anyone made custom Waterfall LED lights, what is the maxium length and vertical drop you achieved? do you sell them?

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
You could make your own waterfall lights with pixels, but it won't be as cheap and easy as what you're used to with store bought lights.

I'd guess that connectable sets are not more common due to cost cutting.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
I'm th
How many wires are coming off the transformer in this one?
I'm suspecting it might be similar to the image I've posted below this.

Someone came in the live chat with this one and asked how it could be controlled with an aftermarket controller.
They said it had 3 wires coming off the controller to switch 4 sections.
My thoughts is this uses an 'dual' H-bridge.
View attachment 16012

I do not know of any controller that can handle this type of 'dual' H-bridge.
Might be @AAH 's next project to create a board.
I'm thinking I might need to head to Bunnings and buy some lights so that I can work out how to control this style. It would be nice to be able to control them.

speedy1

New elf
Hi all, You can control these lights. I was the person on the chat group last year asking, and I was able to control them using a DMX2-18. We need to use 2 outputs on the controller, and setup xlights a special way. I'm not sure this is how Alan designed the controller. It's worked very well last year and integrated fully into my display. I have a few different effects also. - very slow / slow / fast / fade / others..
Happy to do a deep dive if anyone is keen. Regards Rich from Brisbane.

christmasdave

Full time elf
Hi all, You can control these lights. I was the person on the chat group last year asking, and I was able to control them using a DMX2-18. We need to use 2 outputs on the controller, and setup xlights a special way. I'm not sure this is how Alan designed the controller. It's worked very well last year and integrated fully into my display. I have a few different effects also. - very slow / slow / fast / fade / others..
I control a few of these with the DMX2-18 as well. Have been trying to find effects in xLights that look good on them, so would be interested to see how you've done it.

Steve Eggins

New elf
Hey Speedy, I have all my Pixels going now but I have thousands of leftover String lights, I purchased a couple of DMX2-18 Boards and the power supplies etc from AAH but Now I am at a loss on how i connect to xlights.
I would love some guidance if you have the time.
Thanks
Steve

speedy1

New elf
Hi Steve, Check out my uploaded video.
I'm controlling the waterfall string lights (3 wire) using the DMX2-18 with a special setup in xlights.

I'm also controlling the fence 2 wire strings and the 2 wire blue icicle lights using the DMX2-18, using xlights, in this case each string has 2 channels in xlights.

Are your strings the 2 wire type ?

Regards,
Speedy1