Can I create a new or modify an existing model?

shtonkalot

New elf
Just started with nutcracker last night and I'm blown away. What an awesome tool to have.

I couldn't see any way to customise the layout of a model though. The custom model option didn't make any sense to me and I couldn't find any info about it.

Basically I'd like to replicate my real world layout in nutcracker. It is a fairly simple arrangement of 6 or 12 pixel strips. Very similar to a 360 megatree but instead of the strips in a cone they are laid out flat similar to an asterix: [SIZE=-webkit-xxx-large]* [/SIZE] The strips each start in the middle. The strips are going to be used above outdoor dancefloors facing down.

I'd like to be able to map the effects onto this shape from it's front view. Is it possible to create or edit a model to display as I'd like it to?

Any help or pointers are appreciated, cheers.

smeighan

Dedicated elf
shtonkalot said:
Just started with nutcracker last night and I'm blown away. What an awesome tool to have.

I couldn't see any way to customise the layout of a model though. The custom model option didn't make any sense to me and I couldn't find any info about it.

Basically I'd like to replicate my real world layout in nutcracker. It is a fairly simple arrangement of 6 or 12 pixel strips. Very similar to a 360 megatree but instead of the strips in a cone they are laid out flat similar to an asterix: [SIZE=-webkit-xxx-large]* [/SIZE] The strips each start in the middle. The strips are going to be used above outdoor dancefloors facing down.

I'd like to be able to map the effects onto this shape from it's front view. Is it possible to create or edit a model to display as I'd like it to?

Any help or pointers are appreciated, cheers.

one user built this star
Starburst test run #2

all of pixel 1's are closest to the center.
For his model, he just used a vertical matrix with 18 strands of 10 pixels each.

nearly all effects worked as expected. you cant do text or pictures of course.

thanks
sean

shtonkalot

New elf
Cheers Sean.

I was going to go down the plain matrix route but was just hoping for a better way to represent my setup.

Do you know if it is possible or not to create a custom model shape?

That video was pretty cool, nice to see what's being done.

DanJ

Full time elf
I am newbie to xlights/nutcracker. Have used programs to do some initial RGB sequencing (two songs so far) of my six arches and they are quite straightforward to use. Well done Sean & Matt! And thanks. Is there a tutorial or video that would show me how to do this--once I setup effects for model #1 (say arch#1) that if I then want to apply to all six arches in xlights, how to "add" arches 2-5 and cut/paste the effects into the remaining models? If not, I guess I can just dump the arch 1 effects into the rest of the arches over in LOR SE since I am dumping my xlights info into LOR anyway. Thanks very much in advance!