Can't connect to Pixlite4

kevr

Full time elf
Generous elf
I have read the wiki and the user manual and I am still no further ahead so sorry for my ignorance.

I have finally got my pixlite controllers out of their very dusty box and am trying to make a start on this years kit.

The controller I have connected is a v1.1 and software is Assistant v2.2.1, I am connected through a switch but am not able to see any controller, I have a steady green led and a flashing red, I am using windows 8.1.

Grateful for any help.

Kev

ltay13

Full time elf
Community project designer
Hi Kev,

Do you have multiple addresses in the "Network Adapter" drop down in the Advatek Assistant or just the one?

Luke

fmt1962

New elf
By default the Pixelite4 has an IP address of 192.168.0.50 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0

You IP address is 192.168.1.70 and is most likely also a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0

This will make it impossible for you to connect to the pixelite4.

You will need to temporarily change your computer IP address to an address with 192.168.0.x (other than 192.168.0.50 of course), then you will be able to connect to the pixelite4 and if necessary change the address into the range you prefer to work in... in your case, find a clear address in 192.168.1.x range.

Then put you computer back and all should be good.

ltay13

Full time elf
Community project designer
The above is correct and then also update your firmware to the latest because it's likely quite old. Newer firmware versions will allow detection across invalid IP ranges so you would be able to see it now if you had relatively recent firmware loaded.

kevr

Full time elf
Generous elf
Not too savvy with these changes sorry, I am up to use the following IP address in the attachment.

I'm not sure how to identify a clear IP address.

Attachments

• Pixlite 4.pdf
    49.8 KB · Views: 20

fmt1962

New elf
You are on the right track.....

enter an IP address for you computer..... say 192.168.0.51 and a netmask of 255.255.255.0

I have added a image of exactly what to put.

[attachimg=1]

Connect to your Pixelite4, upload new firmware as suggested..
Give it an IP address that is not used on you home network 192.168.1.x (x = an unused address)

When you are finished, put the network settings back to 'automatic'... you are all done.

Alternately, you can set the pixelite4 to receive DHCP, I always prefer to set my own address so I know exactly where it is.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 155

kevr

Full time elf
Generous elf
Thanks guys, I've now got further than I did last year. I had big plans for last Christmas but ended up with no time to do it all, fingers crossed we'll get there this year.

kevr

Full time elf
Generous elf
I thought long and hard about continuing this post; instead maybe make some more discrete inquiries so as not to look like a wally down the track, but then it dawned on me if I'm having trouble I'm sure there will be others in the same boat. So here goes..

I successfully upgraded the firmware to the controllers today which was a big yahoo. I then connected a string of ws2811 C9's to see if I could then; firstly from the hardware test pattern another yahoo, then from software this is where ran out of yahoo's.

When I connect through an old version of xLights v3.3.2 I can only get the lights to cycle through the colours all at once I am unable to perform any sort of chase or alternating pattern; through Vixen 3 I get everything flashing at once in a single colour.

I think part of the problem for me is I'm getting confused by too may options may be best to set the IP addresses to DHCP and take out one option.

I have run out of time today so maybe have another crack at it tomorrow, seems like I wasted another 1/2 day but never mind I did get to communicate and upgrade the firmware.

Kev

gerry

Senior elf
Hi Kev,
There is no better than than now to experiment and get things sorted. No one is under any time pressure to get their show out. Am doing a similar thing with my falcon software and raspberry Pi etc and have similarly spent many days , but that's part of the fun on learning.
So, repost your setup as to where u are now now. With the pixlite, using dhcp initially is good because u can find it with the assistant.
If u are going to use xlights, then backup what u have , install the latest xlights and go from there. I can help you with any questions.the network side has not changed much but the sequencer is quite diff.
Otherwise , post a picture of your setup screen , your model screen and your pixlite config screen and lets have a look.

Else if u are using Vixen, then am sure someone else can help, but u will need to get the sequencer of choice sorted out too.

kevr

Full time elf
Generous elf
Finally got a bit of time to have another crack at the lights, been another 60 ciggies and 2 bottles of Scotch!!

Just joking, I now have the lights flashing which is a bit of a relief, I can get them to chase and pulse at the individual pixels but no matter what I try I can't get the colours to perform as they should. I have tried all of the options in Advatek assistant RGB Order. When I apply a chase in a single colour ie Red I get the chase but the pixels flash from red - blue - green not single colour.

I am sequencing with Vixen 3.2, pixels are ws2811

Kev

fmt1962

New elf
Hey you are almost there :D

What this means is that you have patched the lights as a string of individual lights and not RGB pixels..... remember there are actually 3 color LEDs in each pixel.....

In the 'system configuration, setup display, for pixels you should see... the number of elements ... ie pixels (in my case shown, 75), but you should actually 'patch' to three times that many 'channels', one channel for each color LED, in my case 225 as shown....

[attachimg=1]

OK, that's what you want to get, to do it select the element in the left windows, go down to "configure' below and change it to 'color handling', then select the 'gear' to the right to change the settings.

In this 'color configuration' menu, select the RGB item as I have shown, press OK, patch you elements and enjoy the show!!!! :)

[attachimg=2]

Attachments

• Capture 1.JPG
    Capture 1.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 62
  • Capture 2.JPG
    Capture 2.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 62

kevr

Full time elf
Generous elf
What a difference a day makes, I have gone from thinking I would never get there to feeling like I just won Lotto!!

Thanks for sticking with me Daryl, I had configured the colour handling but not in the right order, one other problem was that the lights I tried were RBG not RGB.

Anyway the are working so a big sigh of relief and thanks again.

An old workmate of mine used to say "If your not living on the edge your taking up too much room" isn't that the truth.

Kev