Causing accidents???

Habbosrus

Back again
Well tonight I was doing a little more testing. I only have the Big W lights up and was testing as I re-routed the cables. I have to say they look pretty good just by themselves and a number of people driving past must have thought so too. One driver in particular must have been so interested in my lights that he or she drove off the road and ran up the median strip to the point where they scraped along the cable barrier separating the road!!! I really hope this isn't a sign of things to come :eek: :eek: :eek: Then, shortly after, a couple were going for an evening walk and were admiring the lights and commented that they looked great. I had turned back to look at the lights and heard a big OUCH! I looked around to be told by the woman that her husband was too busy watching the lights and walked into the street sign. :eek: :-\ :eek:
When I thought about it I started to get concerned. I hope this doesn't happen again, especially if there are little ones around looking at the lights when they're in full swing. That got me to thinking, has anything like this happened to others?

toodle_pipsky

Minister of Silly Walks
The house we used to live in was on a rather busy street. We didn't have any accidents (thank goodness), but would often hear horns beeping. Caught a few people doing silly things like pulling over to watch and not indicating, or pull out into traffic without looking.

Charl Marais

For my twins was the excuse I started with.
I had a couple of near misses last year. One bloke simply switched on the HAZARDS on his car and left it right in the middle of the road.

The most concerning however was people racing down the road to get to the "good" viewing spots not thinking of small children and other pedestrians.

I have asked the local government to install some speed humps or at least enforce the speed limit during the sessions but have had no feedback from them so far.

burner

Full time elf
We are just off a main road, and generally we see a lot of people too lazy to enter our court that just stay on the main road to admire the lights. Sometimes people come up right behind them and do the same, but most times they get beeped at to move on. We've seen a couple of near miss skids too.
Once the lights start, the drivers handbook get's tossed out the window, and the dodgy driving begins.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
My street is very small and I live on a sharp bend. Before I started doing traffic management I would see all types of incidents. Ive seen one car run up the back of another, another run up the gutter and hit the sharp edge of the drain and get a flat, countless near misses as they left the street and pulled in front of another car. Cars driving over and parking in the middle of neighbours lawns and driveways, loud music with million watt sub woofers shaking the neighbourhoods windows and what you will find is that 95% of your trouble will come from P platers and the later you run your show the higher % of them you will find visiting and being loud.

The saying if you build it they will come is a true statement here, but you also need to be prepared for all the other things that can come with this including traffic management because if you don't then your neighbour may get upset very quickly has been my experience anyway

mborg10

Michael Borg
Luckily our street is quite wide. We have a parking lane on each side so if people pull over they don't block traffic. I more worry about the kids. ONce a year we turn off the fm transmitter and put some big speakers out for "Christmas at the myrtle" charity night. I block off the parking spots and put signs up saying where they can park. This gets people out of the car socializing and more importantly donating. But for some reason parents like to dress their kids in black which is very hard for cars to see. So this year I'll be handing out glow sticks for the kids to play with and do cars can see them.

Habbosrus

Back again
ɟɐsʇǝppʎ said:
My street is very small and I live on a sharp bend. Before I started doing traffic management I would see all types of incidents. Ive seen one car run up the back of another, another run up the gutter and hit the sharp edge of the drain and get a flat, countless near misses as they left the street and pulled in front of another car. Cars driving over and parking in the middle of neighbours lawns and driveways, loud music with million watt sub woofers shaking the neighbourhoods windows and what you will find is that 95% of your trouble will come from P platers and the later you run your show the higher % of them you will find visiting and being loud.

The saying if you build it they will come is a true statement here, but you also need to be prepared for all the other things that can come with this including traffic management because if you don't then your neighbour may get upset very quickly has been my experience anyway

I've been thinking about this since last night. I'm planning to only have my show run for an hour during the week and a little longer on Fri & Sat night. I will see how this goes and monitor the behaviour of the P plate brigade. I'm doing this for people's enjoyment and would hate to see it wrecked by a minority & I'd rather not be the cause of anybody's misfortune. We've had a rather tough 12 months or so, so I'm really hoping to get (and provide) some enjoyment from our little light show.