CCTV Security

z_special

Full time elf
Wondering if anyone has any updates to this subject. I current have the opportunity to run cat 6 in my eve and wonder about IP cameras with POE if this makes sense... Can anyone give me some info on new stuff

Thanks Zane

battle79

Full time elf
POE injectors were $50ea. last time I checked, so probably a little cheaper now. Will need one per camera. Alternatively , you can purchase a POE switch.
Camera might be a little more expensive, but it certainly cleans up the cabling requirements.

Bonus is POE should give solid power all the way out to 90mtr runs as per the standard. Cheap units might not get this far, but we are talking about a house, so more than enough distance.

Cheers,
Rowan

cozbert

Full time elf
there is no reason that you couldnt run standard cameras over ethernet cables either using baulns at each end to convert the data.

BradsXmasLights

WiFi Interactive
cozbert said:
there is no reason that you couldnt run standard cameras over ethernet cables either using baulns at each end to convert the data.
I do exactly that and there is no difference in quality. DVR is recording at D1 Full PAL resolution. Obviously IP Cameras will have increased resolution (and price).

AlexB

New elf
Jaycar has a complete 4 camera set up, including DVR for $379 at the moment - normally $499. They sell the DVR unit without cameras for $279... and the cameras sell for about $60 each.

They're 600TVL, so pretty good for the price.

trying to convince the wife to let me buy a set.

damo1271

Full time elf
If you choose to buy that unit make sure that it provides the recording resolution and frame rate that you want. The specs on the $379 Jaycar DVR seems to be 'vague', which is often a sign of lower than average recording capability.
Nowadays I would be looking for a model that supports 25fps per channel and D1 recording per channel. It isn't much good paying for premium quality cameras if you can only record a poor frame rate and/or low resolution.

I note the specs on the $249 DVR show it is D1 at 25fps per channel if its the same unit. Given it has a HDD included in the price I might check it out myself!

burner

Full time elf
1 other thing to add is that cheap camera's are just that. Even through the specs may be similar ie 1/3 Sony CCD, there are different qualities of the same lens. You will find that on cheaper cameras that the lens may burn out in 1-2 years. The cameras I have running at my place have been running 24/7 for the past 8 years without a glitch.

AlexB

New elf
damo1271 said:
I note the specs on the $249 DVR show it is D1 at 25fps per channel if its the same unit. Given it has a HDD included in the price I might check it out myself!
Damo - the 4 channel DVR is the same as the one in the kit for $379 with the cameras - so if the specs on the 4ch DVR appear to be good - then the one in the kit is too.

BradsXmasLights

WiFi Interactive
All my cameras are $50-70 ebay/Aliexpress jobs - been fairly happy so far. (2-3years or so for the oldest). Connected to a 16 channel DVR haha

The generic 700TVL Effio-E chipset with OSD (on screen display) are by far the best bang for buck. Full body (eg: larger-box style) cameras are also astronautically better at capturing anything in low light, or with moving objects - including flash xmas lights! The down-side is your house will look like a prison!

Having said that, if I was starting afresh, I'd probably have to look seriously at IP Cameras recording straight to a 2bay NAS via embedded DVR software

anon

Apprentice elf
I have a foscam camera, the industry standard for cheap and nasty cctv cameras. PTZ wireless IP w/ IR LEDs for $100 can't be beaten, there are also H254 variants for a bit more.

There are a few options; just run DC cable and run them wireless, or run POE injectors (you don't need $50 ones, just power injectors that put DC over the unused pairs, just dont put these directly into your device as there isn't any power negotiation as with managed POE).