Certain characters in audio filenames/titles can trigger error or crash FPP - FYI

crazymofo

Apprentice elf
Just a heads up for a problem i have been having during testing tonight which i have now just discovered the cause. All were in the titles of the audio files.

I had 3 sequences which i was trying to test.
1. One had an “å” in the audio file title. Xlights didnt have a problem but FPP had changed that character to “a” during upload but crashed when trying to play the sequence (due to the different character). Physically it looked like the same title, which is why FPP didnt throw me an error like my next problem but the underlying incompatibility caused the system to crash requiring FPPD to be restarted.
2. Two of these audio files also had symbols in the title, one had a “&”, another had a “ ‘ “. FPP again renamed these by removing the characters, but this caused the audio file name to be different so it threw an error saying it couldnt locate the file (even though it was in file manager).
Hope this helps someone having to troubleshoot the same problem.

Last edited:

BAZMick

Full time elf
Generous elf
Good find and thanks for sharing. FPP has the ability to manually assign an audio file to a sequence file.
I found last year if my audio file name was different to the sequence file name they weren't linked together in FPP.

orchidman33

Full time elf
I've had the same issue. Another character to add to the list "#" and not sure but "(" and also ")" may be an issue.
I suspect that the issue will be any of the special characters