Changing color in LOR sequence "left to right" on arches?

DanJ

Full time elf
Is there a way to use the LOR chase function to create a chase that goes from green at the "start" of an arch (chasing from left to right) to red at the "end" of the arch? I would like to do this, but the only function I see in the standard LOR toolkit is to fade each RGB pixel from green to red, which is not really the "look" I am shooting for. Thanks very much in advance!!!

oldmanfathertime1000

Computers, music, audio, video, electronics
Yes, I did something like that on a column, but don't remember how I did it. I know I played a lot with it to get to do that...I am not back into LOR right now & may be a while before I get back into it....I will get back with you on it ...You may get
it figured out before....lol

ShellNZ

Senior elf
You could download and use Nutcracker to draw your arches out (model) then play around to get it to do what you want.

You then export it as a clipboard, then open clipboard in LOR Seq Editor and paste in.

DanJ

Full time elf
I do have S3 advanced and superstar. I was thinking maybe I shouldn't spend any time learning superstar this year... Perhaps it would be worth some of my time to learn it.... I had decided I would just use S3 sequencer to sequence my four (now six that I have re-measured and re-thought it...) arches. Wow there is a lot to think about in this whole hobby but even more so when "stepping up" to RGBs! Thx very much for your responses. bbayjohn--when I open this it is a big text file. Can I take the text file and "do something" with it?

Bird

LOR user
DanJ said:
I do have S3 advanced and superstar. I was thinking maybe I shouldn't spend any time learning superstar this year... Perhaps it would be worth some of my time to learn it.... I had decided I would just use S3 sequencer to sequence my four (now six that I have re-measured and re-thought it...) arches. Wow there is a lot to think about in this whole hobby but even more so when "stepping up" to RGBs! Thx very much for your responses. bbayjohn--when I open this it is a big text file. Can I take the text file and "do something" with it?
I sort of know how you feel, this will be the 2nd year I have not used a sequencer. I barley figured out how to use superstar 2 years ago and next year will have to learn it all over again.

DanJ

Full time elf
Thanks to all. I saved the dropbox file as an "LAS" file and it opened just fine. About to get on the road to go to work. Will look more closely once I get there. I think I am going to try to do some "special effects" type of stuff in xlights, save to LOR, then cut/paste into my LOR files. I found out you can't really "start" an LOR sequence, then just "dump" the xlights effects into the LOR sequence file because the elements get IDs assigned in xlights. The IDs assigned by xlights were different than the standard IDs assigned in LOR, so I figured I would just take the channels' colors and such and cut/paste them into my LOR sequence. This seems a bit on the knuckle-dragging side of things, but is the only way I see to do this if you don't "start" with the xlights IDs. Thanks so much for your help & ideas!!!

jcmarksafb

Hello from Christopher Creek Arizona
Dan; if you set up your xlights exactly like your LOR layout is (universes/channels) your effects will load directly into LOR. I had the same problem until I figured it out. The other way to do it is to make a "dummy" LOR layout to match your xlights layout, import your effects and copy the effects into your clipboards and then open your "real" sequence and paste the effects you want into your sequence. Hope this helps.
John

DanJ

Full time elf
Thanks John. I just realized today that I might be doing extra unnecessary work here?? I think I can just run xlights for "special effects" that are not really synched to specific "sounds" (on & off exactly with music) but that occur (say spiral effect) over the course of ten seconds. So, perhaps to keep the file sizes down to reasonable sizes in LOR, I can use xlights for "some" effects and import (as you suggested) for other effects that I want to be exactly timed to specific sounds/beats/etc. Does that make sense? Or do I just need to plan on running everything from LOR? I will think about what you said about the ID mapping. I am just starting to learn xlights as result of some advice provided by some ACL folks. My understanding is that xlights is setup to map IDs automatically. Not sure what you are talking about with respect to mapping "same" in LOR and xlights....?

ShellNZ

Senior elf
Hi Dan

In the setup tab of xlights load in your Pixel controllers by Port and Universes.

8ce2d529-1495-41fb-af5c-79060e5b118f_zps1820c403.jpg

So 10.10.10.11 is my P12R for my megatree. I have moved it up to the top of the list with the arrows.

I then do my design and export as an .lcb file. I then import into SE and paste in the first line of the megatree, it will paste it exactly as it should be.

I just do e.g 5sec sequences in xlights and chop up in SE to suit the beats/sounds. Of course also once you have pasted you can also make the design go faster by choosing "Stretch to fit" and pasting your .lcb into a smaller area.

There is no good way of doing what you describe, have been playing with it today. The only thing you can do is create a big block of colorfade over a certain amount of time, then delete blocks so it looks like a chase e.g
Redtoyellowchase_zps6ea14422.jpg

That kinda looks terrible, lol.

Nutcracker is the way :) Tho playing with that right now and cant remember how I did it...lol

DanJ

Full time elf
Thanks so much shell I really appreciate the info!! I am going to try some of these ideas this week. I just changed my mind on all of my arches, so I have to go back into SE & VIZ and change all the mapping & stuff. Since I built these (non LOR RGBs) "light by light", it is very tedious to go back & change, but I think worth it to be able to "see it" in VIZ. So, the next couple of nights will be re-mapping nights! Then I will try what you suggested.

DanJ

Full time elf
Shell--I tried to do a screen capture but not sure how to do that... My xlights setup screen looks just like what you captured from your PC, so I think I have the first three universes mapped similarly between xlights & LOR. However, it is my understanding that xlights "names" each channel as you build "models" in xlights. This might be a good chat topic, but I don't understand how to get these programs to handshake as you have suggested here..

Charl Marais

For my twins was the excuse I started with.
So I have been busy with my sequencing in LOR for this year and found a method for chasing while changing colour that works really easy. I don't know if the information might still be useful for someone.

1. Create your basic chase using just on blocks.
2. Choose your colours using the Color Fade tool.
3. Apply your fade to the selected area using the foreground tool.

This gives you a chase that also changes colour as it crosses the prop you are sequencing.