Channel assignments - a cautionary tale

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
I thought I'd share with you something which nearly sent me on a goose chase last week. Using the latest version of LOR S3 Advanced, I had set up my E1.31 universes and was running a sequence.

Outside, I noticed that one display element was not coming on at all and another was intermittently working when it should have been on all the time. A quick look at the controller connections showed it all to be correct and then I remembered that everything had tested fine with my da_E131 program.

So, I took another look at the sequence I'd created and found that the two affected channels had the same universe and channel number!

Maybe LOR doesn't complain about this as there may be a good reason to have overlapping channel assignments for grouped / individual control?

Anyway, I fixed the errant channel assignment and of course it all worked fine. So, if you find you have an even number of channels that are not behaving the way you sequenced them, check the channel assignments! :)

DanJ

Full time elf
Thanks for the heads-up David. I am also LOR S3 user with 360 RGB channels mapped so far. Tips like this are really handy. Just for info, are you planning to stick with LOR as you go up in channel count? I have read a lot of negative about how sloooow LOR becomes at high channel counts...

jcmarksafb

Hello from Christopher Creek Arizona
xlights has the same problem. Make sure when you are setting up your universes that you type in 510 channels instead of the 512 default. Makes for some very strange lighting.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
I only have about 110 DC channels and another 190 odd RGB pixels, so not having any issues. I have no idea what I'll be doing next year... until about the start of November!

DeeJai

Is that Magic Smoke?!?
Funny enough, I had the exact issue yesterday. I had setup both of my J1 controllers as universe 1-8. Needless to say, i was not getting the effect I wanted.

Changing my second controller to be universes 9 - 20 fixed the issue immediately. (Well after I had also fixed the controller output option in LSP.)