Channel Counts

jediknight2

Full time elf
LOL, here is one...and I'm just curious to what others do. How do you guys figure your channel counts up with RGB? Do you count a string of 100 pixels as 100 channels or 300? I can see both ways...however if you count the 300, you REALLY have way more as each color shade is a "channel", otherwise you would have to hang a string of lights that color.... :)

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
It is counted as 3 channels for every controllable RGB pixel, one for red, one for green and one for blue.

The reasons being is thats what it actually is as far as data output and hardware is concerned. Sequencing software may mask that fact by blending the 3 channels into RGB channels, but the physical hardware and data are still 3 channels per RGB pixel.

Its hardware and not software that determines the number of channels.

Now that can be confused with people using intelligent pixels as a single dumb string, but because they chose to sequence or program that way is still a software limitations as the physical hardware will still be sending out all the data. Now you can group channels in hardware and i would consider grouped pixels set up within a controller to then be considered as a single pixel of 3 channels regardless of how many pixels are physically connected because both in software and in hardware they are treated as grouped pixels even though physically they are individual pixels.