Channel numbering with RGB and multiple controllers

jspaulding22

New elf
Question. This is my first year with RGB lights (converted). I have watched both videos on configuring E1.31 with LSP. Great videos. I think I am doing this right but want ot varify. I have multiple PR-12S controllers. I have LSP configured and is able to talk to the controllers.
My question is this in regards to Universes and channels in LSP. After I have mapped my first controller's Universes and channels and I start mapping the channels for the following controllers, I pick up the channel numbering where I left off from the previous controller, correct? I don't start at 1 and new universe again on the new controller do I?

Make sense? Thanks

Joe

arw01

Full time elf
Normally no, would just keep going up with the channels and tell the controller what those higher channel numbers are. This assumes those are listening to artnet or e1.31 protocols that support high channel counts.

The universes get configured to output to that specific interface card, so in my case I have only 1 zone for 32K channels and deal with the universes channels on the controllers themselves.

Alan

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
There is no need to have any of your channels in order because in LSP you are best to treat your controllers as elements. An element can either be part of a single controller with a controller having many elements connected or a single element could span mulitiple controllers like a matrix or mega tree.

When you do the mapping you then tell which channel ranges and start channel and universe you want to allocate the elemennt to.

Then in the controller/s you configure which outputs will match the universe/s for your element/s.

so you could have an element with a channel range from 1 to 900 and have it split over 2 universes of 450 channels and then you coul have another element on the same controller that has a channel range of 2000 to 2500 in LSP, you would then allocate that channel range to the appropriate univwerse that you have configured your controller to use for that output.

mborg10

Michael Borg
Like what Eddy said, just think of each element and how many pixels it has. I'd suggest creating a spreadsheet so no duplication of pixel number occurs. Remember too the pixel number is not the channel number. You need 3 channels for pixels. (This is where excel is great.)